1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hi can any one help with a housing problem/

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by crazysilkychick, May 1, 2008.

1. crazysilkychick

crazysilkychick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Hi
    can any1 post pics of the inside of their chicken house - i'm not sure what house is the best for a small flock

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Here are some pix of the insides of our Bantam coops...

Modified Chick-N-Barn/Yard for our Silkies (Feeder/waterer are hanging in the covered run area)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Playhouse Coop (Feeder is in coop until we replace the tarp that covers half of the run)...

[​IMG]

Should have taken this one after moving the feeder back in place...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Post Brooder Coop (Used for moving chicks outdoors. Feeder/waterer kept inside until chicks can go out. Then feeder stays in and waterer get's moved outside.)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

3. akanalynnn

akanalynnn Out Of The Brooder

Thanks for whoever asked this question, I was just about to ask the same one...

What is the silver material used for insulation? Does it keep it cool in summer or warm in winter, or both?

Also, whatever it is, is it spendy?

[​IMG]

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    The silver material you are seeing is TekFoil . It's used as insulation and helps keep the coop warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. The link I used is for the roll that we bought so it lists the size of the roll and price.

I installed it before we had our bike wreck in Feb. and haven't been able to cover it yet (using either 1/4" plywood or a cheap linoleum remnant...still undecided and $$$ is tight since Skip just got back to work) since I just recently got my cast off (still wearing a wrist brace and still can't do somethings with the right hand yet).

I really like the stuff and can tell a big difference in the coop temperatures since I've added it. It's not uncommon in TN to have 70 degrees one day and be at freezing the next in the winter, spring and fall so Skip and I feel that it was/is a good investment for the well-being of the birds.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

5. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    This questions goes to the person who posted all those nice pictures, what is the shiny silver stuff in the coop? Is that insulation? Does it work?

6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Dawn, LMAO Love your sign on the banty coop! Hahahaha I need one of those [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by