Hi! Can anyone help me tell if my chicks are female? I have an Americana and a Barred Rock and they'

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DarleneE, Feb 9, 2014.

1. DarleneE

DarleneE Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Riverview, Fla
    [​IMG]

2. CrazyChookLady5

CrazyChookLady5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2013
    Australia, NSW
    how old are they, the black one *may* be male, but not sure 100% sure

3. DarleneE

Feb 9, 2014
    Riverview, Fla
    They are about 4 weeks old. The dark one is the one I I thought was female as she's more tame and calm. The Americana is the more rambunctious of the two..I have more pictures of both further down. I'm new and couldn't figure out how to post several pictures in one post! Lol dumb me!! Thank you!!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You aren't dumb, you are new to chickens. You really do have to post clear, closeup photos. It's best if you do the two birds separately. You need a good photo of the head(front view) to show comb, and good standing, side view.

You can get opinions here and also on "what gender or breed is this," thread. They do look cute.

1 person likes this.
  5. DarleneE

Feb 9, 2014
    Riverview, Fla
    Thanks SO much for your help and kind words. I will try to get more close ups of them then. The thing is I think they're still to young because neither have a comb or wattle yet at all?? Is that the only way to tell?? I'm really worried cause we cannot have roosters here and I'm really attached to these chicks already!!!!! :(((

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

At 4 weeks, I am going to say they are both female. Many roos start getting their combs in at 2 weeks and by 4 weeks the combs are bright red already. But to be sure, I would post this pic in the Gender section here of BYC for more positive ID.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Good luck with your new flock and enjoy BYC!

7. DarleneE

Feb 9, 2014
    Riverview, Fla
    Ooooh that's music to my ears and I pray you're right!! Neither have ANY visible combs at all!! Actually they don't have any wattle yet either?? But yes they are at least 4 weeks old now!! THANKS SO MUCH.. and I'm going to take some better close ups now.. if they'll cooperate that is!! Heeheeeee

8. DarleneE

Feb 9, 2014
    Riverview, Fla
    THANK YOU!!

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by