Hi. Chick newbie

LeifandLee

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
Hi. I am a newbie to chicks. been reading a lot and lurking on this web site for a while so I thought I should come out. My Husband has always wanted back yard chickens but I was always afraid I would kill them . We live in North Pole Alaska and we have lots of weather challenge, and also in the winter with not so much light of day. But then our summers are gorgious but not much dark. This will definately be a challenge for me

I got my first chicks yesterday. they were 3 days old. 1 RIR, 1 Australorp and 1 Ameraucana. My DH works a camp job so i wanted chickens that would be friendly and ones that I wanted
tongue.png

so, on to my question. they all seem happy and the Australorp loves to be held but i noticed that the RIR likes to kind of pick on the Ameraucana. is this normal? should i seperate them? I don't want to start out with a fight!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Congratulations on your new chicks, sounds like you will have a pretty little flock. There is a pecking order even with chicks and some chicks are just bullys, but with little ones it is usually they are too hot or the brooder is too small ... they need a spot that is 95* but there should also be cooler spots in the brooder. If you are using a white light, change to a red heat bulb and darken the room they are in a little, that may help calm them down. Be sure they have plenty of food and water and know where it is.
You might also like to check out the BYC Learning Center, lots of good articles on all aspects of chicken keeping, be sure to check out the chicks section. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center And it is always fun to check out your state thread for chicken keeping neighbors https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/84141/north-to-alaska

They also may like something to do. Some people like to put a branch or something in the brooder so they can climb on and off like a kids playground. Might also take their mind off of pecking. A small ball might busy them for awhile as well.

Back
Top Bottom