Hi Chicken lovers

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Gardengrl37, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Gardengrl37

Gardengrl37 New Egg

Mar 18, 2016
    Macungie Pa
    I've been wanting chickens for as long as I can remember. Unbelievably something always seemed to prevent me from obtaining my goal but recently I have finally got what I have for so long wanted.
    Funny story, I live close to a business that has a hidden parking lot very close to my house. I was taking a walk and running around in this parking lot was a chicken. Crazy I know, it was like it was meant to be and love at first sight all rolled into one. So I ran home and grabbed a few pieces of bread. He/She looked at me curiously but I could tell it was hungry but it wouldn't get too close. So I ran home again and got water and a large fishing net, thinking it would come close again and gently I would scoop it up. Haha not a chance. It was no dummy. It was getting dark at this point and I didn't want it to be killed by predators so once again I ran home and waited for my daughter to come home and when she did she was just as excited as me so once again with a flashlight, large dog crate, net, bread and water we set out to save this little guys life and to finally, hopefully start our little chicken family! Once we got there it was nowhere to be seen. We searched everywhere. Just as we were about to give up we heard a flutter under the one car that was still in the parking lot. With the flashlight we looked everywhere. I even crawled under the car and examined the undercarriage. Nothing!i was determined at this point. I didn't want something to hurt it and I would sit out there till dawn of I had to. Just like that we heard another flutter and ran to the noise and there it was, sitting in the wheel well( which we checked numerous times). I slowly reached in and gently wrapped my hands around it. It didn't even fight me. We placed him in the dog crate and carried him home! He's been a treasure ever since! [​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Happy you joined us! Wow! That's quite a chicken rescue. You are correct. It likely would have been a chicken dinner for a predator or, as chickens get pretty dormant in the day, if someone had gotten in the car and driven it they might have run over it! Anyway, have you thought of adding a second (or more) chicken? They are a pretty social critter and like to have at least one of their own kind around. Also, the Learning Center idea great place to get you up to speed on all things chicken. Here's the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    Good luck to you and great rescue! :thumbsup

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great rescue story! Now you have no choice but to get him / her some pals to hang out with [​IMG].

Best wishes
    CT

4. iLikeMineFried

iLikeMineFried Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2016
    Northern Wisconsin
    Your little rescue is going to need some company, but be careful, chickens are addicting and before you know it, you will have a whole flock! [​IMG]

5. Gardengrl37

Gardengrl37 New Egg

Mar 18, 2016
    Macungie Pa
    Yes were definetly going to get him/her friends. Were in the process of building the chicken coop, but for now its in the garage. Im not sure if anyone can tell me if its male or female and what breed it may be. I really dont like calling it an it. My daughter swears its a female and my sons say its a male so it has 2 names right now. Someone told me its too young to tell. It loves to sit on our laps and follow us around!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You could also keep it as a house pet and decide next year if you want to get into chickens & what ever breeds. Sounds like she would love to have your family as her flock.

There is a great thread to check out "people with house chickens." Think your daughter would love the idea.

8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Gorgeous bird there! Looks like gamefowl or Sumatra. Can't tell gender from this angle but looks like a pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by