Hi chook friends

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tnoemis, Sep 8, 2016.

1. tnoemis

tnoemis New Egg

Sep 8, 2016
    Been using byc for information purposes for a while now. Thought I'd join and share my experience in battling the monster that is red mite and some positive stories too

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and welcome to BYC! Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

3. loulachick

loulachick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2016
    Punta Gorda,FL
    Same here, this forum has been a great help to me in helping find useful info bout my chickens, been finding info for almost 2 yrs and decided it was time to join so I could ask questions

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas and :welcome. Great to have you in our community. Yes, red mites can be a real scourge! Hope you found some good advice. Best wishes!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  6. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard chickens tnoemis!! I hope you enjoy it and the camaraderie here and everybody that goes nuts over chickens (me being one of them....) Have fun! And ask questions! I am sorry you are dealing with mites! Here are some ideas you might try:

1. Feed hens raw minced garlic free choice in their water. It is thought that blood sucking parasites don't like the taste of blood when the host has garlic added to their diet.

2. Mix garlic powder, dried oregano, parsley, wood ash, rosemary and lavender and rub into the skin.

3.Tie bouquets of wormwood, basil, catnip, cayenne pepper, garlic, oregano, rosemary, and sage to the roosts or make sachets for your nesting boxes as an ongoing mite repellent.

A garlic juice spray mixture has been found by poultry scientists in the U.K. to have a 100% kill rate over 24 hours. This can be used as a treatment and also as an ongoing preventive.

10 ounces of water
    1 ounce of garlic juice
    1 teaspoon (total) any combination of these essential oils: Bay, Cinnamon, Clove, Coriander, Lavender, Spearmint, Tea Tree and Thyme.

Mix in a spray bottle and spray hens - Bi-weekly as a preventive or every other day for 2-3 weeks in the case of an infestation. Concentrate around the vent and under the wings. To completely get rid of the mites, you will need to treat your coop and the chickens simultaneously since some types of mites the leave the hens a burrow into wood or crevices.

Spraying your coop and roosts for several days in a row with a mixture of 2 cups water, 1 cup cooking oil and 1 tablespoon of dish washing liquid will help kill off the remaining mites by suffocating them. The coop should continue to be sprayed at least once or twice a week for several weeks.

While your chickens are battling the mites, it is a good idea to increase their iron intake to prevent anemia. Good sources of iron include: eggs, meat, poultry, fish, seafood, spinach, beet greens, dandelion greens, sweet potato, broccoli, collard, kale, strawberries, watermelon, raisins, wheat products, oatmeal, cornmeal, and molasses. These foods, added to their diet, can help them better battle the mites. In addition to draining the body of iron, mites also affect the immune system.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC. You can also put "How to treat mites," in the searchbox and articles will pop up.

8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

I've found permethrin dust to be quite satisfactory and safe in treating mites and lice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by