Hi Everybody!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HeyHouse, Oct 3, 2016.

1. HeyHouse

HeyHouse Just Hatched

Oct 3, 2016
    I've been lurking this forum for about 3 years and figured it's about time I get involved.

I live on a small holding in South Africa and have a relatively tiny flock of about 18. 2 of my Boschveld hens just had chicks this morning so I'm feeling excited to chat about chickens ;).

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. You may hold the record for longest lurker - just kidding. Now that you are official you can participate in many of the contests offered on this site.

Glad to have you [​IMG]

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have eventually joined us [​IMG] Congrats on your new flock additions - nothing nicer than seeing a mother hen and chicks around the place. Please make yourself at home and enjoy the warmer weather [​IMG].

Best wishes
    CT

4. iLikeMineFried

iLikeMineFried Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2016
    Northern Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Had to google what a Boschveld was - what a beautiful breed! We definitely don't have those out here in the US. I always love to see what neat breeds folks overseas have.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, HeyHouse, and :welcome! Great to have you aboard. Glad you made it official and signed up! Best wishes! :)

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hi there and welcome to Backyard chickens. I had to google the Boschvelds as well, but my aren't they pretty! They look like a mix between Swedish Flower hens and Speckled Sussex. Enjoy your time here on BYC!

8. HeyHouse

HeyHouse Just Hatched

Oct 3, 2016
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

Cool to see some interest in the Boschveld. It's actually a mix of 3 other native African breeds - Venda, Matabele and Ovambo. They're great for free-range setups because they're bred to be hardy. But they sure are impossible to catch! I can pick up my Rhode Island Red's on demand, but the only way I've managed to catch a Boschveld is if it's cornered inside the coop.

Lovely colors indeed, and also great personalities. There's also enough genetic diversity that I can tell them all apart.

9. HeyHouse

HeyHouse Just Hatched

Oct 3, 2016
    Got a count today - 12 healthy chicks. 2 eggs were abandoned and I hatched them successfully on my stove :).

Actually it's going to be a chilly night, about 12*C, so I'm a little nervous to leave them with mom.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by