Hi everybody!

Kida

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 13, 2012
Weatherford, TX
I've been a lurker for quite some time now, but I just placed my first order for some baby chicks scheduled to be shipped the first week in April. I'm so excited!

A bit about me and mine: My name is Stephanie, I'm married to a prior service marine (even I get the stink eye if I call him a former marine lol). We have three babies: a two year old girl and twin 8 month old boys. We also have an Alaskan Malamute fur baby named Nimbus who is fed on a whole prey model diet, no kibble (that's him in my profile pic). I'm a certified pastry chef but I haven't done that professionally in awhile. We'll be homeschooling the kids when the time comes because while the area we live in is fantastic, the schools are decidedly not.

We've just moved back where we're both originally from, around DFW Texas, where we can have our chickens, rabbits, dogs, garden, etc from a tiny San Deigo apartment. I breed rabbits for primarily dog food but we eat them from time to time as well. We're currently building our garden beds to do square foot gardening, we're going to have a separate bed in our garden to grow various things for the chickens and rabbits to eat since I'm sort of anti-kibble for anything.

My flock as ordered will be a pair each of: barred rocks, australorp, welsumer, silver cuckoo marans, and golden campine. I'm planning on building the 'permanent hoop coop' from the coop pages here for my girls (oh I really hope they all end up being girls lol)

As for additional hobbies, I love to research and learn about anything really. I live by the motto that all knowledge is worth having and that you should try to know a little bit about everything and everything about something. I'm also striving to live as 'off the grid' as possible while still maintining relevancy in the modern world.

Greetings from Kansas, Stephanie, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Happy you joined our community! Sounds like you are all ready for your April chickens - and those are some great beeds! Best of luck to you and the family!!

I'll let him know ^_^ and the weather is still hot hehe. The temperature here has been in the upper 70s to mid 80s. It got up to 114deg here last summer though

Thanks for the warm reception you guys! :) I thought I'd add here that we've decided on the names of our flock, or at least the theme: it's Dr. Who Companions! lol We'll have Leela, Sarah Jane, Rose, Martha, Donna, Astrid, Jenny, Amelia, River, and Oswin. Any improperly sexed roo will be Captain Jack Harkness (hopefully there won't be any, much less more than one). The coop will of course be Tardis blue :p

Back
Top Bottom