1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi Everybody! :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SemiEmmie, Feb 10, 2013.

1. SemiEmmie

SemiEmmie New Egg

Feb 9, 2013
    Well, Hi!

Clearly... I'm new here! I joined because I'm going to get new chickies (and I am so excited!) I have a very, very important question! Well, After begging and begging for my parents to approve me getting chickens... Probably 4 to 5 egg layer chickens (No Roosters). I've started on their coop and run and I am very close to finishing their brooder (Which will be an unused bathtub) Anyways back to my very important question... I have absolutely no idea what breed to get! I was thinking about getting Easter Eggers or Golden Laced Wyandotte Chickens ( I chose those because I thought they were really pretty [​IMG]) Anyways, If you have any ideas of what breed I should get, Thanks in advance! I can't wait until I decide! [​IMG]

Oh, One more question... How difficult are goats to keep care of? I know, I know, don't judge me ^-^
    Also... I read that if you only use newspaper on the floor of the brooder their little feet will get deformed... So can I put newspaper then pine shavings over it or (just to be safer) cardboard on the floor then pine shavings?

~Emmie [​IMG]

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2013
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Check out the breeds link below and research a little. You can define the characteristics and uses (meat? eggs? both?) you are looking for. Don't neglect a mixed flock either.
    Keep the pine shavings on top - newspaper is too slick for them. Best of luck to you - love the responsibility you've taken! Best of luck to you!

Breeds thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

Learning Center for all things about getting started and maintaining chickens:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/

Finally, for goats here is a link to a sister-site of BYC:

http://www.backyardherds.com/

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  3. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy from Florida an welcome to BYC!!!!
    I recommend Ameriucanas or rode island reds because they give u lots of eggs( so I've herd) an the look awsome! ( my flock is a mix of rode island red x Ameriucanas) an 13 what a great time to learn to be responseable an post a pic of your coop that u built!

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio...so glad you joined BYC. Cant wait to see pics of the chicks you finally choose

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Emmie, welcome to BYC. We are glad to have you as part of our community.

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

I use puppy training pads in the brooder until the chicks are old enough to go onto bedding.

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you've joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by