Hi Everybody!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by FossilPeak, Jan 8, 2014.

1. FossilPeak

FossilPeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    Tuscola, TX
    New kid and already breaking the rules! Posted my intro in the wrong section...so here goes again!

I've been watching the forum, absorbing valuable information and opinions, for a month or so now and finally decided to join. I live in west central Texas and am probably a fool. In the "go big or go home" spirit I have careened headlong into the poultry world. Having raised chickens as a child I've always enjoyed them. Recently a wild hair struck me and I decided to raise a few quail to release around the house. Predation is a huge factor where we live, but I thought if I could keep them gentle I could feed them in the pens much like one would chickens, leaving only the daylight hours for them to fend for themselves. Well I started shopping around for a small incubator and studied various flight pen designs...and then the phone rang. A buddy said, "hey check out craigslist right now..." well I did...and three weeks later I've purchased two 12'x50' flight pens, two 1300 egg incubators, a hatcher, brooders, 300 breeder quail and all the accompanying paraphernalia. My 13 year old son expressed interest in the sale of game birds....he asked if he could use his Christmas money to buy into the operation...well he did and he's now a 20% owner and chief egg gatherer and candler. An empire is born...we shall be rich with money or rich with quail! (My guess is the latter). We've got our breeders eating feed as fast as we can shovel it in and ordered 200 Georgia Giant eggs to get things going. We're 7 days into incubation and this morning's candling showed about 14% infertility...time of year I suppose. Glad to be a part of the forum! Thanks for having me...GAME ON!

-Cody

2. ChicknsRock

ChicknsRock Overrun With Chickens

Oct 4, 2013
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!! Thanks for joining!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  4. Farmboy1200

Farmboy1200 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2013
    [​IMG]
    welcome to the chicken flok[​IMG]

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your new venture, that is going to be a lot of quail.

6. SwedishDude99

SwedishDude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    Welcome to BYC! :frow

Go old luck with your quail! Let us know how it goes, I may have to get into quail myself! :D

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

8. LoveChickens123

LoveChickens123 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    hi there[​IMG] glad you joined us

9. FossilPeak

FossilPeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014