Hi everyone! Any ideas on the breeds of these Atwoods chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EastTexasHen, Mar 23, 2015.

1. EastTexasHen

EastTexasHen New Egg

Mar 20, 2015
    Hello hello from the piney woods of East Texas!
    My sweet husband finally relented and let me purchase 12 chicks while we were out buying horse fencing at a nearby Atwoods. The bins were poorly labeled and the employees didnt know what breeds they were. So after some google searching we settled on 10 chicks from the straight run Brown Heavies bin, one from the straight run bantam bin (the fine feathered large white chick, chosen by my mother who was with us at the time), and one from the pullets bin, the fluffy yellow one next to the strange white on in the second pic ( ive since removed her wing band an she blends right in with the brown heavies...whoops). They all seem to be eating and drinking well, and they snatch up and gobble the occasional bug that lurks too close to their cage (success!). But my dear husband is curious, as am I, about breeds. Any ideas?

Also any advice for a first time chicken owner?? It seems the family of red tailed hawks has come back to nest for the spring so they're my biggest concern currently. Also please excuse the dirty cage, this was before i cleaned it :)

Thank yall!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ShAwN2015

ShAwN2015 New Egg

Mar 23, 2015
    Looks like u have quite a few Rhode Island reds.

3. EastTexasHen

EastTexasHen New Egg

Mar 20, 2015
    Rhode Island Reds! Fantastic :) Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by