1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi everyone, first post here.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TheCapps', May 17, 2011.

1. TheCapps'

TheCapps' Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Suffolk, Virginia
    First of all Hello,

We are new to chickenry i'll call it. We have purchsed a house on 7 acres with plenty of room for whatever. Our fisrt endevour is the chickens. My neighbor has kept chickens and I have been getting info from them from time to time. I would like to see what everyone thinks of what I have going on, and get insight of things to change, add, ideas, what ever you have to offer. Ok so here goes, as of now we have 4 cucco murans, 2 wynodottes, 4 easter eggers (we think), and 2 Bantams. I also have 5 broad breasted bronze poults. Our lot is about 2 acres cleared and the rest is wooded, just as the woods start i cut out an area for the coop. I made a pen 25' x 25' with t posts and 2"x4" 4ft tall welded wire. and inside the pen I built an 8' x 8' coop. I havent got to doing anything with the interior besides some temporary perches. what I would like to do is get them familiar with the area and hopefully just let them run where ever they would like. We do have more chicken we should be getting from a mail order next month, 10 more I believe. well here are some pictures of our set-up. Please critique it. I guess I can't post pictures yet, I'll try to figure something out.

2. TheCapps'

May 17, 2011
    Suffolk, Virginia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  3. AyeUpChuck

AyeUpChuck Striving for Self-Sufficiency

Mar 7, 2011
    Beavercreek, OR
    [​IMG]

4. surgerynut

surgerynut Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Leavenworth, KS
    I love it. Where abouts in the world are you?[​IMG]

5. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    [​IMG]
    and [​IMG] from SE Pa, Amish country and proud of it!

6. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Looks awesome! I would open a whole bale of pine shavings and dump it on the floor. It absorbs moisture and you will only have to change it a couple times a year.

7. YYZ

YYZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Maine
    Welcome The Capps

Nice house ! How long will you need to keep newspapers down?

8. TheCapps'

May 17, 2011
    Suffolk, Virginia
    we are located in Suffolk, Virginia

9. TheCapps'

May 17, 2011
    Suffolk, Virginia
    so It looks like the first change we need is the news paper. I still need to finish the roof, It is being made of fiberglass panels I get from work, the material was free so I figuered i'd use it somewhere.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  10. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    If you have your coop on the edge of the woods, you're gonna have some critter issues. Me, I would put some 1/2inch hardware cloth there where the roosts are, on the inside of the welded wire you have. If a Coon reaches in and grabs a chicken's leg while it's roosting, it will pull it out a piece at a time. Very disturbing, to say the least. The hardware cloth should preclude that. Also, you've got them secure at night, right? Lock the door with a latch that coons can't open, and no open holes.

If you have trouble with the coop far from the house, you might want to move it closer. Mine is like, 10 feet from my back door, inside the dog fence. But then, I only have 7 chickens, so no smell or fly issues as yet. Very easy to care for and maintain. When I had my coop farther away, it was more trouble to care for, and the chickens got in trouble and I didn't hear them.

Just my two cents' worth! You'll find a wealth of information, and lots of opinions, here on BYC! Welcome![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by