Hi everyone I'm Chicken Melissa and just joining!

chicken Melissa

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Granger, In
I have 13 baby chicks that I got when there were 2 days old. I have had them a month now and all is going well.
I hope I am not forgetting anything I see posts about giving Quick chik and putting this or that in their food and water.
My chicks are only eating chicken starter and water. Is that ok? They are growing well, and think they seem to be getting along. They are trying to fly out of the cage and are still inside the house. On a warm day I will take them out and let them stretch their wings and play. Out coop is enclosed in top so they can not get out. I would love to let them run during the day when full grown and cage them in their huge area at night!
I want to have roosts and toys and treats and want them to be friendly! I had them frequently and they go absolutely nuts when we take a q-tip or anything somewhat pointed and tap and move it in the outside of their aquarium glass. There is so much for me to learn and I am so rather to learn. Want to get them outta the house cause they stink but not too early don't want them getting cold. Any and all advice welcome! I found a chart of food they can eat and am surprised just how many scraps they can eat!
I am excited!!!!!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
There are some great articles on raising chickens in the Learning Center that I think you'll enjoy. Chick starter and clean water is all they need now, yes. Chick started is formulated for chicks and has everything they need nutrient wise. Just go easy on the treats, when given. No more than 10% of their daily food intake! Enjoy your chicks and enjoy the site!

Hello and welcome to BYC!

Congrats on your new babies! Yes, chick starter and water are just fine for them. They have all they need in the starter to grow big and strong. Great that you are taking them out for field trips to the coop! This will really get them familiar with it so when they do go out, they are less afraid. I like to put a small roost bar in the brooder as well and by 2 or 3 weeks, they are already roosting at night. That way when they do stay in the coop for good, they know how to roost.

You can also take them out into the grass if you like, but watch them very carefully and never leave them alone. Hawk and dog bait for sure. They will really enjoy playing in the dirt.

If you do let them out on the grass, you will need to offer them up grit for the gizzards. (grit is not needed for starter feed only) You can use parakeet sand/grit. Works well for babies.

Definitely stop by the learning center for lots of good articles on raising your new babies. Sumi has left you with the link.

Enjoy this new adventure you are on! You are doing just fine with your new babies. Welcome to our flock!

Hi! I am getting four day old chicks in a week! I have my brooder ready and I will take the advice above for adding a roost in there in week 2-3! I am brand new to raising chickens. I have all the beginning supplies and a coop on the way! I am excited but worried that they will die or get eaten but something. I do have a dog, but I am hoping to train him to keep watch rather than bark and bother. I was reading that I need to check on the chicks every 2 hours? Is this true? That may prove to be difficult. Thanks!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like your chicks are doing great, you've gotten some good advice above about caring for them and feeding them! If you can give them heat in the coop (put the heat lamp out there) you can brood them in the coop... just be careful the heat source is safe ... or if the weather is nice just leave them outside during the day and bring them in at night now that they are a month old.

Back
Top Bottom