1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi Everyone, I'm new here and I've got a question. I've been incubating Coturnix Quails for a while

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mady001, Feb 9, 2017.

1. mady001

mady001 New Egg

Feb 9, 2017
    I've been incubating Coturnix Quails for a while now and I've just checked on them and found 2 of my eggs hollow with the yolk dried out at the tip and the tip of the egg all cracked, how did this happen?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. I'd suggest posting your question on the Quail forum for the best feedback.

Best wishes
    CT

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us, but sorry about your hatching problems.

You should also post the question on the hatching forums - hopefully someone can explain what happened and how to prevent this for your remaining eggs.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, mady001, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! Hope the incubating and hatching folks can help you with your questions. Best wishes!

5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sorry, I have no experience with hatching or quail but the two forums that have already been suggested should be helpful to you.

Best wishes on future hatches!

6. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Howdy, howdy, and welcome to BYC! I am so glad you decided to join the community, please do make yourself at home here! I am sure you will enjoy it, and I hope you love it here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

7. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    :welcome

8. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Do you supplement laying hens with calcium for egg strength? Maybe the shell was thin which made it prone to cracking with normal handling - I don't candle at all except for before I put them in the incubator, to check for cracks - they can show up very well!

Oh and welcome :D!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by