Hi everyone, lethargic hen

Twyll

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
have a wee problem with no idea what it may be. My 16 week old amerucana is not well. She separates herself from the other girl's(6 birds all together). hides behind feed can. wouldn't jump up to the hen house at night( had to lift her to a roost). Last night, I put her in coop but she just hunkered down on the floor of coop(all night). not really eating or drinking that I can notice. she's sitting on my lap right now as I type. her bottom is clean, can see no mites of any sort, head/beak area is fine looking.....?????do not know whats up with her? The weather is still quite mild, a little rain but temp good outside. Just cleaned the coop yesterday......any suggestions....thanks Teri

First,
welcome-byc.gif
. You need to get some water in her and probably some with electrolytes/vitamins. You may also want to offer her something high in protein like a scrambled egg. I occasionally give mine some canned cat food. Canned tuna is also a good choice. If she isn't drinking at all, type tube feeding into the search bar and you will find some help. Good luck with your girl.

Coccidiosis can still be a problem at this age if she is having any diarrhea I would watch her droppings today, while giving electrolytes and egg as suggested by Mrsc1951 above. Amprollium (Coxoid in the UK, Amprol, Corid) is the treatment, but may have to be obtained from a vet. Symptoms of coccidiosis are lethargy, weakness, poor appetite, diarrhea (with or without blood,) and puffing up. She also may be getting bullied, and be weak. Worms could also be of concern. Flubenvet is a good wormer if you are in the UK. Here is a link for Coxoid: http://www.chicken-house.co.uk/acatalog/Coxoid_500ml.html

Last edited:
seems none of our vet's will see to chickens......will check at the feed store. But where and how do I get this amprollium(for coccidiosis) from? One Vet didn't even carry that, but would look the bird over. Not into spending a fortune at the vet's for a check up. Any ideas that can help if I can't get that? done the egg.....still not eating, hung her upside down and her beak was sort of draining clearish liquid?????massaged neck, felt all over....seems normal( I'm no judge to what is normal). I'll ask abou the flubenuet at the feed store too.

hi teri again....just talked to the feed store here and they have something (different name) that may help, but how to? when hen's not eating or drinking? dropper? tube feed-scary?

seems none of our vet's will see to chickens......will check at the feed store. But where and how do I get this amprollium(for coccidiosis) from? One Vet didn't even carry that, but would look the bird over. Not into spending a fortune at the vet's for a check up. Any ideas that can help if I can't get that? done the egg.....still not eating, hung her upside down and her beak was sort of draining clearish liquid?????massaged neck, felt all over....seems normal( I'm no judge to what is normal). I'll ask abou the flubenuet at the feed store too.

You can get it at a feed store normally.

hi teri again....just talked to the feed store here and they have something (different name) that may help, but how to? when hen's not eating or drinking? dropper? tube feed-scary?

You will have to start tube feeding. It's really not that bad. Kathy taught me all I know.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/924563/someone-please-help/220#post_14170090

The above thread is my tube feeding adventure with instructions from Kathy. You have to get your chicken hydrated before you give her food. Super important. Your chicken needs it, and it's very beneficial. Believe me. If she were mine, I would do it in a heart beat.

I've been to the feed store and they gave me something for worms and coccidiosis. I'm managed to syringe the mixed formula down her throat. She got this soft pliable moundness in her chest area. All the liquid I put in. Is that normal? Does she eventually absorb it? So I stopped for a wee bit, nervous to be doing something wrong.

I've been to the feed store and they gave me something for worms and coccidiosis. I'm managed to syringe the mixed formula down her throat. She got this soft pliable moundness in her chest area. All the liquid I put in. Is that normal? Does she eventually absorb it? So I stopped for a wee bit, nervous to be doing something wrong.

What your feeling is her crop. Yes normal. It should be on the right side of her breast pretty much. It should get absorbed.

thank you so much. Sad night......but still thank you. I have much to learn.

Back
Top Bottom