Hi everyone! New here! I keep amassing mysterious chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by happynewlife, Jul 26, 2014.

1. happynewlife

happynewlife New Egg

Jul 26, 2014
    I moved from ohio to the country in Louisiana last year.we have 3.5 acres of land with a beautiful duck pond 28 ducks.(last count).guinea hens, cats, a dog and goats.I have also acquired an amazing turkey. (Lucky Theodore) who has his own cool story. I've lived in the city my whole life and am in love with my new situation. Anyway, here's my strange chicken story.Last year we had one rooster who started hanging around my porch every day so I started to feed him when I went out to feed the ducks and guineas.We called him the Lone Rooster as he kept his distance from everyone.Then last winter he suddenly began to have a smaller rooster with him ALWAYS I named him Levi.They took up residence in the goats pen and never left. A few months ago Levi took off for a few days and returned with a beautiful hen and 3 teeny chicks.They all sleep together every night in an elevated wooden box in the pen like an adorable little family. (He even watches out while they eat first protectivly). I feel that I've observed this in the guineas as well. A month or so ago two more rooster came and never left.They all are living in my yard and hunkering down in the goat pen at night.IJust keep putting out more feed and even made more little wooden boxes that they seem to like at night.I found the source of 2 of them and informed the guy that I had them.He said to keep them, he had no use.Over the past 2 months 5 more chickens have come and stayed.plus the chicks are getting pretty big now.they can come and go as they please yet they never seem to ever leave my yard or the goat pen, and if they do they just return with more! I honestly don't know where most coming from but they seem to keep coming and I really love them! They are so animated and having amazingly complex personalities and interactions.There are now 12 that never leave.They've been eating a mix of sweetfeed corn,and oats.I've been naming them and following there interactions. (My husband thinks I'm hilarious but there more entertaining to me then any reality show.) I would love to keep taking care of them and learn how to do it properly. Although I'd been asking around still not sure where there coming from.I just hope no one tries to claim them. (Again, I've asked around and none are being captive in any way!) Thanks for any responses! :)

2. KendyF

KendyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    That is amazing and very cool. You are lucky! I agree that chickens are VERY entertaining, and mine don't even bring strangers home! What kind of chickens are they? And as always... We love pictures.

3. happynewlife

happynewlife New Egg

Jul 26, 2014
    I will post the few I Have and send some more tomorrow. Im very new to them and am unfamiliar with breeds however I plan to learn mor

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. BYC has a very good learning center and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. We are here to help in any way we can. The accumulation of your chickens is quite an amazing story. I'm looking forward to your photos. If you can get full body profiles showing the feet and tails, it will be easier to identify the breeds. Good luck with your flock.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! I loved the story about you got chosen to keep chickens! The Learning Center is great resource for anything "chickens" and the What Breed Or Gender is This? forum section is the place to go for breed identification. Enjoy the site!

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Yes, I do believe you were chosen to keep these birds. What a fun story!

Enjoy your wonderful flock and welcome to ours!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

BYC has a very useful learning center [​IMG]

Very nice story and thank you for sharing [​IMG]

9. ChookRanger

ChookRanger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2014
    What a nice story! You seem to be providing them with a safe and comfortable home. If you feed them, they are yours, IMO. Good luck and don't forget to post in the "what breed/sex is this chicken' thread.

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by