1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi everyone, new to BYC :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HelenDescoins, Nov 9, 2014.

1. HelenDescoins

HelenDescoins Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2014
    Durban, South Africa
    I have had chickens my whole life, since I was 3. I'm 14 now and still loving them. I moved about 2 years ago, and very strangely about 1 month ago my healthy flock started getting sicknesses I never knew about, which has be incredibly devastating because I've lost about 4 chicks from a sickness I don't know about, took the herbal root which seems to help the others but I don't know what to do with my ones that are sick. I've been looking EVERYWHERE, please, please help! My parents sadly won't allow me to take them to the vet, that and there are NONE that work with chickens :'(

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sorry about your birds. Moving birds to new grounds can give them Coccidiosis. You will find them all fluffed up in the corner, not eating or drinking, thin and many times there is blood in the poop.

See if your parents will take you to the feed store. You are looking for Corid or something with the ingredient Amprolium in it. Follow the directions on the bottle for dosages. It will go in the water to which you will add nothing else to the water other than this med for 5 to 7 days.

Birds become immune to their environment and when they go to new grounds, they can get sick. I should ask do they have any runny noses or swollen faces, coughing, watery eyes? They can also get bacterial infections as well. But I suspect they have coccidiosis.

We also have an emergency section you can post in as well for more
    input...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck with your birds and I hope you can get them all healed up soon! [​IMG]

3. HelenDescoins

Oct 25, 2014
    Durban, South Africa
    Thanks so much for the help, going to get some of that medicine tomorrow!
    They all have some problem with their lungs, weezing and gasping for air. The chicks are eating perfectly but drinking much more then their supposed to so I decided to limit the water source in case of sour crop, but I did add some apple cider vinegar and another with natural antibiotics, that helped a little, their now looking healthy but I don't think they are as they are still wanting to much waterand struggling to breath a little. Every now and then I see their noses have liquid and a few sneezes going around. Is it some type of flue or does that sound like Coccidiosis?

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Ok then, this is not coccidiosis. Sounds like either MG or Coryza. Some sort of respiratory infection. You will want to get them on some antibiotics. ACV is an excellent preventative, but it won't cure them. You will need to order this on line, unless you have a small type feed store around. The TSC's don't carry antibiotics much anymore. You will need some Sulfadimethoxine or Duramycin. I think you should go with the Duramycin. Both are fairly broad spectrum but the Duramycin is a bit more broad as to what bacteria's it will kill.

Here is a website you can order from....https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/duramycin10_64_oz.html

There is a 21 day egg withdrawal after the last day of dosing.

Good luck and I hope you can get them all cured up soon!

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Good luck getting your chickens well.

6. HelenDescoins

Oct 25, 2014
    Durban, South Africa
    Thanks so much for the help! My parent have luckily agreed on getting it for me *phew*

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Good luck!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck getting your flock well.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please do keep us updated after they start their medication. I'm glad your parents are helping you get meds for them.

10. HelenDescoins

Oct 25, 2014
    Durban, South Africa
    Will do and thanks for the welcoming! Although, my one chick has started doing something new, getting me very worried...
    Every now and then(does it more and more as time goes) she will roll her head up and do almost like a yawn but much more intence like a big choke, then she will shake her head.
    Any body heard of this before?
    Thanks for any help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by