Hi everyone newbie from Pa

maae

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 12, 2013
Hi all, I have six buff Orpington they are almost 20 weeks, we got our first egg the other day, she parked next to us and laid, all the girls ran over to see and it was soft so it broke when it hit the ground and they ate it, I was shocked! I understand I gotta work on their diet and possibly this was because she's so young too. We thought we were getting another last night but nothing. I'm all ears for any advise surely. I didn't think I would see anything for a couple more weeks. I was wrong, heehee!
Thanks for having me here, I love the stories it's fun and very encouraging!

Greetings from Kansas, maae, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you with us! The first eggs chickens lay are often thin shelled. Are you giving them oyster shell to harden up the shells? Also, monitor your birds to make sure they aren't eating eggs as they lay them. Once they get a taste they can be hard to break! Good luck to you!

Thank you for having me. Yes they do get oyster shell, this was our first egg that I know, I've been checking their coop while they are out. Just in case ya know. I am a little worried about the them eating that egg like that. But every time one gets something new everybody got get in on it. If its not I can do it too, it's I want it too. Heehee they are so funny! But I will make sure watch their diet and keep my eyes peeled for they next one, maybe I can be faster, lol. I don't know though, it all happened so quickly.

Hello and welcome....so glad you joined BYC

I agree with the others. If she is just getting started it shouldnt be long and all will be in order :)

Good luck to you

Hello & Welcome to BYC!
big_smile.png
It's not uncommon for the first few eggs to have soft shells, or even no shells at all. Their bodies are working out the kinks & she should lay you a nice egg soon. Good luck!

Thank everyone of you are right on. She has laid three perfect eggs since. She even let me know when she was does, it was so funny. I think her sister might be giving us one soon, she keeps going in the coop then she runs over to me yapping, but nothing yet. I'll be posting our pics of our first ever home gron eggs soon as I get a chance to get on my computer, I'm not able to do it on mobile. Thank you everyone for welcoming me. Your awesome .
Just hanging with my chicky's

Back
Top Bottom