Hi! Everyone !! Newbie here.. Be gentle LOL :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Morris Acres, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Morris Acres

Morris Acres Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2013
    Michigan
    Hello everyone!
    Just want to introduce myself.. I'm Billie :). I'm from a small country community in Attica, Michigan.
    I raise chickens.. I wouldn't consider myself an expert on them..I'm an amateur.
    after not having them for quite a few years.( afraid to have them.. our neighbors dogs killed our last two attempt to raise them :( ).... Last year we finally ordered some babies.
    I had ordered 25 Rainbow egg layers but unfortunately 4 had perished. And one morning last year.. I went to get something out of my car. And i heard a crow. And thought to myself.. you have GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! yep wouldnt you now it a rooster!! in the bunch.. But its not your average typical rooster! This thing is HUGE!! lol
    I have never seen a chicken this big in my life after it was finally full grown.!
    and unfortunately with a pick mix. I didn't have a clue wha s some of the breeds were. After google search
    after google search looking up colors and etc on the chickens i have. I figured out some LOL.
    After searching I believe my Rooster and 1 Hen are Light Brahma. They are both big birds.
    I have a few RIR and Barred Rocks and we have about 15 Silver Spangled Hamburg. And I'm thinking a Black Star.
    I also just started a little Button Quail hobby. I had bought a lot off ebay! 40 button quail eggs.with 10 extra the seller shipped.and when i received them i let them rest and put them in my Hova-bator July 24th. And starting August 9.. they started hatching. OMG they are so tiny! lol
    So after all said and done...
    50 quail eggs
    4 were cracked when i received them ( but they sent extras so its ok)
    11 were not fertile
    17 started growing but stopped ( it happens as we all know)
    And we ended up with 18 babies
    I'm happy with that.
    Also, 2 days before I started the quails.. my son wanted to incubate some our chicken brown eggs.
    months ago...I had bought a little chick-bator spaceship looking incubator. ( the cutest thing LOL). few days
    down the road. He candled them and all three were fertile and taking. so 3 days before the hatching date.. he moved them into the hova-bator with the quail eggs. All three Hatched yesterday ( on the 21st day ).
    All have feathered feet ( from the rooster).

but enough rambling and boring you all.... but wanted to share what I've been doing..
    I can't wait to start learning much much more from this site and hopefully getting to know
    a lot of you!

thank you for making it this far in my thread lol

Take Care and happy farming!

Billie

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Great intro :)

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Hope that either you or the 'evil' neighbor have relocated.

4. Morris Acres

Aug 12, 2013
    Michigan
    Thank you! Elizabeth!

Thank you! No relocation, but warned them about their dogs.. as I had a talk with the authorities ;)

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

6. Morris Acres

Aug 12, 2013
    Michigan
    Thank you :)

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Billie, and [​IMG]! Pleased to have you with us! Hope you get things resolved with your neighbor! Best wishes!

8. locoguru

locoguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    Welcome!

9. Morris Acres

Aug 12, 2013
    Michigan
    Thank you! Well so good so far.... I'm able to let my chickens free range. without worrying to much.

Thank you for the welcome!

10. Mrs Rebecca

Mrs Rebecca Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2013
    Northwest Missouri
    [​IMG] This is a wonderful place to learn!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by