1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi everyone! Question on our Roosters behavior

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mrrooschicks, Oct 25, 2016.

1. mrrooschicks

mrrooschicks New Egg

Sep 18, 2016
    Bwk
    Hello! This is my first post here but I have a concern about our rooster. We lost one of our hens about a couple weeks ago to a raccoon attack. (We got revenge the same night and killed two coons. One we are pretty sure got our Red) After a few days our rooster started dipping his head down and ramming backwards into whatever he can run into. Any ideas on what it could be causing him to act this way? I don't know if it has anything to do with our hen getting attacked or if it's just something with him. I was hoping it was just a temporary thing but he is still doing it as of today. Thanks for any input!!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, mrrooschicks, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! Unsure if his behavior is related to the attack or not. Did he receive any injuries? Does he seem otherwise normal? Eating and drinking? Interacting like his old self? You might examine him for injuries just to be sure. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

3. mrrooschicks

mrrooschicks New Egg

Sep 18, 2016
    Bwk
    He does seem normal other than that. He eats and drinks and interacts fine. I have looked as good as he will let me and have not seen any injuries on him. The only thing that is different is this backing up into things. It's kind of funny watching him but I'm hoping it's nothing seriously with him.

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
  5. mrrooschicks

mrrooschicks New Egg

Sep 18, 2016
    Bwk
    Thank you! I'll try there!!

6. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

That is a common sign of head or neck injury. He may have been struck during the attack. You might try a vitamin supplement such as NutriDrench to perk him up. Such injuries heal slowly and on their own, if at all.

7. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sounds like a brain injury

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member