Hi everyone, so happy to finally join the club!

splus4

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 28, 2014
New Zealand
Hi!
I've had a pretty rough year... Lots of personal issues. I now find myself a solo mother of 4 wee kids living on a shoestring. I have, for years wanted to raise chickens.. Finally now I am on my own nobody is going to tell me I can't! We got our first 4 girls two weeks ago. 2 Hamburgs and 2 Easter eggers. I bought them as POL pullets and was told they may or may not have yet started to lay. So we have been waiting for the egg production to start. We've been unsure wether our lack of eggs is due to being not quite there age wise or stress from the move. Anyway... One of the girls (the lowest in the pecking order) started on Thursday! We've had 3 eggs in total. I have the feeling everything is going to be alright for me and my kids! I'm looking forward to getting to chat to some of you all.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry your year has been so rough and I hope things are really turning around for you. I don't know how old your hens are, but the stress of moving can delay their laying. I'm sure before long you will be getting lots of eggs from them. Hamburgs are generally very good layers and Easter Eggers are my granddaughter's favorite chickens. She loves their colored eggs. Raising chickens is a great experience for kids. Good luck with your flock and your kids.

Thanks Michael,
We are pretty excited about the prospect of blue eggs too. So far just one of our wee hamburg girls is laying.. So just white eggs. I'm hoping the blue eggs will be coming this week though!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! Chickens is a wonderful hobby for kids and the eggs are fantastic too, of course. In your situation I would consider hatching eggs and
raising chicks, if you are allowed to keep cockerels where you live, those could be processed for meat, you can even sell surplus chicks... Thinking out loud here! There is so much possibilities. Good luck with your venture and I hope life will be kind to you and the little ones from now on.

Thanks Michael,
We are pretty excited about the prospect of blue eggs too. So far just one of our wee hamburg girls is laying.. So just white eggs. I'm hoping the blue eggs will be coming this week though!

With EEs, there is a good possibility of getting green eggs in various shades as well (the majority of ours do). We also have one EE that lays beige eggs and one that lays pale pink eggs as well.

Thanks for the welcome! We are hoping to expand a little next year when we move into a larger place (we live with my parents at the moment) My kids are already discussing what kind of eggs we need to hatch out when we have the space. At the moment I'm just trying to focus on getting eggs to feed us and poop for the vege garden!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sounds you and the kids are really enjoying your new flock! I hope they continue to bring you great joy....AND eggs!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom