hi everyone... want to ask about pumpkin seeds.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by k15, Jun 21, 2009.

1. k15

k15 Hatching

Jun 21, 2009
    [​IMG]
    I heard that pumpkin seeds are natural dewormer
    i just want to ask if you mix the pumpkin seeds with the feeds of the chicken or you feed it separately?

and how often do you feed them with it?
    do you have a prescription if you are feeding them with pumpkin seeds?

tnx.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  2. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have read on here that this is a myth, has been researched, does not work.

3. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Songster

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    I have read that also but don't know any of the facts. I do however know that DE is natural and is a good wormer. Just mix it with their feed and you're done.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  4. Once the seeds harden it's difficult to get the right dosage in them and grinding them is a chore. But if you offer fresh pumpkin while the seeds are soft, you get some value at that time...

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I don't know if it works or not, but I still feed fresh seeds to them around Halloween. After halloween is over you can go anywhere and buy a bunch of them super cheap, that is when I feed it to my Chooks they like them and if it helps with worms great if not they get a good treat everyday for a couple of weeks.

AL

6. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Songster

Apr 11, 2009
    the only value of feeding pumpkin seed is the vit's and minerals in the seed?
    have you checked that out?

with that said I had a friend who did all the studies on worming in his 17 yrs at college for Vet
    and the only things that wormed besides chemical wormers was

after worming with Ivermectin
    the ivermectin goes into the blood stream and gets the worm larvea in the blood stream

then put 2 parts DE to 10 parts feed and feed it daily

also the 3 tbsp of cayenne pepper fed daily to gallon of feed will keep the worms down

but pumpkin seed,or garlic was not even effective
    the garlic is for respiratory diseases and keeps the bird immuned

kelp was good for feather growth and keeping the body of the chicken using organs properly

any questions email me

7. CARS

CARS Songster

Waaaaayyyyyy off topic but... 17yrs to be a Vet??????????????????

8. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    After Thanksgiving and Halloween we give all the rotten pumpkins to the chickens and they love them.

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Crowing

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Chopped, hulled pumpkin seeds mixed with buttermilk act as a preventative to worming. I don't know that the mixture actually de-worms the chickens, but it does work as a preventative. My chickens get a bowl every 3 months and love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: