Hi everyone! We are total newbies in the chicken world lol

My husband and I bought a double wide mobile home on three acres in NC recently. Our neighbors have chickens and I love them but now they keep them home because we have planted a large garden and they are being good neighbors. I want to get our own chickens this fall around November when my son is going to visit us to build a new chicken coop. One is on the property but is old and has a zillion holes. We are reading all the information on here that we can so we can be good chicken parents. Can anyone tell us whether November is a doable to start new chicks and also what happens in January when it gets cold (goes down to 20 during January and February). How can we keep the chickens warm enough even when they are adults? I like the speckled black and white chickens. They are beautiful!
Another option would be to ask your neighbors for advise being they already now the conditions the chickens will have to face for your geograffical area. Make them feel like the expert, scince they successfully raise chickens they will most likely be proud to show off their chickenomics. Most people feel good about helping other people out and will give 100 % effort to achieve that ole feel good feeling, i know i would, I love to feel good about helping others, all one has got to do is ask.Worse case would be for them to say no, best case would be for them to offer to help house your chicks till the coop is ready or maybe they would offer to help get the old one in shape if the framing is good. Could you post a photo of the old one that is there please

Last edited:
I agree it's good to be friends with your chicken neighbors - they could tell you the best places to shop for feed, etc. How to get the birds through winter, what breeds have proven best for them. When you have chickens it's always good to have another chickener as a friend., instead of complaining neighbors. Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Back
Top Bottom