Hi Everyone!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickenwuver, Mar 20, 2017.

1. chickenwuver

chickenwuver Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2017
    NE Texas, near OK
    Hello Everyone!
    I have been a chicken lover for most of my life. My grandparents had them on their farm, and I kept them myself as a young girl, in the 4H program. My husband and I recently bought a 20 acre farm, and the first thing I wanted to do was create a chicken coop!
    We started with two Rhode Island Red hens. They were given to us by a friend, who could no longer care for them herself, due to health issues. They were in molt when they arrived, and weren't laying any eggs. Even after molting, they did not resume egg laying, even though they had been good layers for the previous owner.
    A couple months later, another friend was culling her flock of Rhode Island Reds, and offered us a rooster. We'd talked about the lack of eggs, and she thought the rooster would encourage my hens to start laying again. He joined us on a Saturday afternoon, and even though they were in separate areas, the hens could see and hear him. By Monday morning, they were both laying again!
    Fast forward about a month. The rooster had successfully joined the hens in the coop, and we'd seen him attending to business several times. Then we noticed one of the hens started acting a bit broody, which is unusual for Rhode Island Red hens. She sat on five eggs for several days, and then suddenly abandoned them. I purchased an incubator, and put them in it, but they didn't make it.
    From then on, I collect the eggs faithfully, and incubate them. I have had some issues with getting the humidity stabilized, but I have now successfully hatched five little cuties! And I have another seven eggs due to hatch in a few days! Plus, I have been collecting my eggs to start the Easter Egg hatch on the 25th! I've gotten the bug again!
    I am excited to be here on Backyard Chickens, and I look forward to learning, sharing, and enjoying it!

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! What a lovely introduction, I've really enjoyed reading more about you and your chickens. I'm pleased to hear that you got your incubator sorted out and that you had some fluff balls hatch. Hope you have a great hatch for the Easter Hatch a Long :D

Enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG]

Hello from Kansas, chickenwuver, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under chickenwuver [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy being a member as much as the rest of us.

Best wishes
    CT

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us, it's nice to have you here!

7. HeavensHens88

HeavensHens88 Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2015
    Lost, I fear.
    Welcome!!!!! It's always great to meet a new fellow poultry enthusiast!
    What a lovely introduction to chickens you had!
    :jumpy Wings of Wishes, :jumpy
    ~Sarah

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by