Hi everyone.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chooky Chook Chook, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Chooky Chook Chook

Chooky Chook Chook Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2017
    I've had isa browns for about five years now....for their eggs mainly, but also because I wanted to try my hand at caring for chickens and ......... I love them!

I've had good egg production, but my girls are getting old now and are living their lives out on the property - free ranging and securely homed at night. I'm losing them from old age fairly regularly now which is very sad, but they've had good lives.

I've introduced a few point of layers along the way who are still producing and I've also taken in some oldies from friends who didn't want them past their laying age. At the moment I have 13 chickens and collect between two and five eggs a day - I'm pretty sure there's a sneaky nest somewhere on the property. Not a lot from 13 chickens, but they really are an old flock and I love them all.

I've performed a few minor bumble foot surgeries and removed several "things" from eyes. I saved a friends chicken who was attached by a dog. She had her neck and back torn apart and when we found her she was in a bad way......my friend ended up giving her to me which was nice. I've overcome a nasty mite infestation in my flock which was a big learning curve. Snakes and dogs have taken a few but overall I've been pretty lucky with my girls.

I'm here because there is so much more to learn and so many member's brains to pick.
  2. blackdust951

blackdust951 Ostrich egg

Jul 24, 2017
    NSW Australia
    My Coop
    :welcome hello :frow and welcome to backyard chickens!thank you for joining us :yesss: :ya
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Chooky, sounds as if your flock is a lucky flock. Welcome to BYC.
  4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Chooky :frow Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Personally, I have found the Topic of the Week articles a great resource and a one stop shop for questions which may have already been discussed within the BYC membership group.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)
  5. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Read. You will learn something. Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Farmer Connie, getaclue and rjohns39 like this.
  7. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you've joined us!
  8. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockless Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Thanks for joining us. I hope that you enjoy your time here
  9. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop

Mar 3, 2015
    Welcome to BYC!
  10. rjohns39

rjohns39 Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy that you've joined us:ya
    Farmer Connie, N F C and getaclue like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by