HI Everyone

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by newtofarmlife, Apr 14, 2009.

1. newtofarmlife

newtofarmlife Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2009
    mission b.c
    Hi There

I am just new to the wonderful world of chickens and just love it...I am located in canada b.c and we have 24 chicks of all different types..we have[please excuse the spelling if it is wrong]..2 cuckoo marans,2 golden laced wyandott??9 barr rock[did have 10 but the poor thing passed away on us on day two:(],2 white leghorn,5 bovan browns,2 red rocks & 2 really fluffy black and white speckled something[we are not sure what they are as they were in with the 9 barr rock..I did post a picture of them on here if anyone knows what they are that would be great]...I do have a question though....is it okay to give the chicks broken up pieces of bread?I have and they go crazy for it but I don't know if it is okay or not...I tried oats and they didn't like them..I am curious as to what treats I can give them?

Many thanks to all
    Kim
    here is a pic of the one that we have no idea what it is
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

3. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    [​IMG] from NC! B. Saffles Farms/Brian, do you think she has a splash frizzle in that pic??

4. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Welcome From Indiana... [​IMG]

5. Hello and [​IMG] , from MO

Thats a cute lil splash frizzle you have there [​IMG]

6. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Welcome from NM! I sure hope it's ok to give them bread, because mine get it all the time, and french fries, lettuce, burgers,,,, lol

7. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    [​IMG] cute chick!

8. newtofarmlife

newtofarmlife Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2009
    mission b.c
    Thank You to everyone

Now iam going to go Google splash frizzles....and then off to go give them some bread also...I didn't realize they could eat so many different things...WOW...Is there things that they must not ever have?

Many,Many thanks
    Kim

9. GivingItAGo

GivingItAGo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Quote:Burgers! As in the meat? I don't think that is ok but I am no expert. Plant based kitchen scraps are all fine but I am pretty sure chickens should not eat meat.

10. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    my birds get ALL my leftovers...including meat...including in fact....yes....chicken. I keep a cool whip container on the counter and nothing gets thrown away, it gets thrown in the "chicken bowl" .....haven't had any problems thus far and it's been over 6 months....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by