1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi everyone

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SCmama, Sep 30, 2011.

1. SCmama

SCmama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    Hey everyone, I'm a newbie! We got our chickies about 6 weeks ago. We have 1 Plymouth Rock, 2 blue laced wynadottes, (4 mos old) a silkie, and one I'm not sure what it is! We just got the silkie and the other one yesterday when we traded our Americana rooster. We just found out he was a rooster, and since we're in a neighborhood, we can't have him. So we took him to the farm, and traded him for 2 hens. The lady said she's either a Rhode Island Red, or a red star. The red one, Lucy, and Silkie, Snowball, are about 7 mos old. We're excited about our little chickies, and have come to this site looking for tips and tricks so everyone's successful!

I had a question though, since our original chickens aren't laying yet. Lucy laid an egg this morning, but she was on the roost when she did and the egg cracked open, We have 2 nesting boxes in the coop, and have put a gold ball in one, like we read about to help the hens know where to lay. Apparently that didn't help. Any suggestions on getting her to lay in the Box and not off of the roost?

2. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    [​IMG] from Texas

3. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from North Texas [​IMG] Glad you joined us [​IMG]

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. t/m

t/m Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    Hi and [​IMG] from VA I'm new to chickens but thought maybe if you don't get any answers to your question you could re-post it in the "chicken behaviors and laying" forum.... or put it in the 'search' on this site -that's been very helpful to me.

6. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    [​IMG] from NC

7. leghorn_lover

leghorn_lover Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] Hi [​IMG] --- I would probably pick her up and put her in the nesting box,from time to time thru out the day,for the next couple of days or so.... to show her and remind her where the ball is and where you would like to pick up the eggs.... everything is so new to her she probably needs to calm down a little IMHO .... hope it helps

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. pdbantam

pdbantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    South Mississippi
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by