1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi Everyone!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WI FarmChick, Feb 22, 2012.

1. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Hi Everyone, I am From WI.
    I Have 36, 2 week old babies. I raised 24 broilers with much success, couple 4-5 years back.
    I have had a dozen girls for laying. Until "life" got in the way. Had to give them up. (To a good neighbor.) So these are my latest babies, I wanted Fancy pants girls. But we have a hatchery about an hour away ( but limited on variety) I didn't like the idea of shipping them so I went and picked them up. My chicks went peep...peep...peep.. All the way home.... lol.

25 of them are called "Special Blacks" They are a dual purpose brown egg layer. The other 15 are Leghorn white egg layers. they are fun, I have a special girl that jumps up on my arm when i do some spoiling with treats. she will sit on me and let me hold her.

I have been doing a lot of research on feeding with whole grains, but I am more confused then ever! :( I am wanting to raise them on whole grains. But petrified I will do more damage than good. I am trying to keep in mind what they all eat outside naturally.

I found out about you when researching whole grain feeding.

I make handcrafted soaps, I make quilts then hand quilt them (have one on my frame waiting for me.), I knit, Crochet, general crafts, general building things (when the need arises).

Which I need a bigger coop now. My other one is too small. Not much time to do that. I am always a year ahead and my hubby is a year behind so between us we should get her done on time. We do have 1 extra set of hands for the task and that is our daughter, she is 14 now.

I am looking forward to meeting you all! :)

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

3. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Chookschick has a recipe for home made feed that is healthy and balanced.

5. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Thanks Everyone! Awesome welcome! [​IMG]

Oh it would be great to see what chookschick is using. I don't feel mine is well balanced. I don't really want to order feed ingredients.
    would like to be able to find things in my neck of the woods reasonably priced.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

7. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BackYardChickens

8. magnolia-1971

magnolia-1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    SE Wisconsin
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]