1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi everyone!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by billiee, Feb 10, 2013.

1. billiee

billiee New Egg

Feb 10, 2013
    Hello, I'm new to BYC. I'm from Australia an have a totel of 16 hens and 2 roosters. Lately something strange has been happening though and I have no idea what it is. The past two morning my hens and roosters have been making noises at about 4:30am I go down to check and nothing is there. This morning however they where making noises and I found two dead hens, I have them locked up at night and there are know areas where I a dog or fox could have got in. Could it be a snake? As it is summer here.

Thank you

2. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    [​IMG]. I do ducks and not chickens but there are many, many good folks on this forum who will be more than happy to answer your questions. Good luck!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, billiee, and [​IMG]! Great to have here! Sorry to hear about your losses. I think for the best advice you should post in the following two threads. Also give details (age/size of birds, type of wounds, feathers scattered, etc). Good luck to you!

This is about predators:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests

And post in this thread to see if some Aussie locals have an idea of what is happening to your birds.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/598568/australia-six-states-and-that-funny-little-island

4. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy from Florida! My advice would be to listen to redsoxs an go to the predator section of the website an find signs around your coop.

5. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio...so glad you joined BYC. Hope you find whats bothering your chickens

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    [​IMG]

9. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!!
    [​IMG]

10. chook master

chook master Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2012
    Welcome to... BYC![​IMG] Hope you enjoy our community![​IMG]I think it might be snakes that have been causing the problems since it's Summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by