Hi Everyone

liliyfield

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 26, 2013
I grew up on a small chicken farm before Tyson's became a business. My dad raised chickens naturally, and usually culled the flock before winter. Now as an adult, I have an area where I could have my own small flock. I originally started out with 12 baby chicks of various breeds 3 years ago. All brown egg layers, all were suppose to be hens, but out of that first flock, there were 4 roosters. I gave 2 of the roosters away, couldn't bear to process them, (they were named) lost 1 to predators, and kept the other. My son went to an auction and brought 2 what he thought were hens home, I made him try to sell them and one did sell, long story short I ended up with

2 roosters which are hard to keep them separated. I live in Amish country so it is easy to keep them natural with natural food. They free range during good weather after the fields are planted. I also have 2 geese that free range all the time.

I just bought George the gander a new mate last week. They are my watch geese. I try to keep them as natural as possible, I allow my hens to brood, last summer I ended up with 8 baby chicks of which 7 were roosters.
sad.png

George and Gabriell (gabby for short)
I just added 6 white egg layers (leghorns) and one white jersey giant, who is now almost as big as the geese. I will be adding 6 more brown egg layers next month. So far I have not had any problems with serious disease, though I did have to de-worm my hens last year with Cayenne pepper and diatomaceous earth. I have to keep them organic, because I sell the eggs to an Amish bakery.

This is a mixed wyandotte and isa brown, the only hen of the 8 that hatched She is beautiful now, she has the lacing of a wyandotte on tan feathers. .

Arnold Swarzen-egger the watch rooster

Russell Crowes-a-lot The Wyandotte in the pullet bin.

Russell with some of the girls.

A match made on hope acres.

The leghorns and Jersey Giant recent additions to the flock

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Lovely pics! I really hope your next hatch will produce more hens for you.

welcome-byc.gif

ya.gif

Hi From Jacksonville. I used to have a rooster like you Russell Crowes alot. My Rooster was Razzamatazz. Glad you joined us. I love your photos and I hope to read your future posts!
Caroline

Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Beautiful pictures, you have some very pretty birds.

Back
Top Bottom