hi everyone!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by texgardengal, Nov 23, 2013.

1. texgardengal

texgardengal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    Just wanted to say hi to everyone. I've been reading for months now but thought I had better join so I can ask the millions of questions I have. I'm a city girl that moved to the country a year ago and so chickens are new to me but I just love them!! I have absolutely no experience though and am just winging it so far. A couple of days ago I sent my husband into the coop to get my sick hen out. I wasnt sure if she was dead or very sick..or what. She got mad, started pecking him and puffing up and it finally dawned on me that she is just broody! I guess (I hope) I will have baby chicks soon. So I'm kind of in a panic to figure out what to do when they arrive and how to get ready for them.
    Love the site and look forward to meeting lots of new friends.

2. fosterson

fosterson Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

That's funny. How many eggs does she have under her right now?

3. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    [​IMG]

4. texgardengal

texgardengal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    Day before yesterday, or I guess I should say the night before last(the day I thought I had a sick hen) my husband said he saw 2. I spend a lot of time with them and I know she had only been sitting for about a day. I noticed during the day she wasnt out with the others and when I checked on her that night and she wasnt on the roost and I became worried. I only have 2 hens and 2 roosters. I havent checked since. I'm assuming the other hen is still laying. I will check again today and read on the site that I should mark the eggs that are there with a Sharpie and remove the others. I'm hoping the other hen laid one so I will have more today. If they are only a day or two apart it should be okay I hope? I will mark them all today and tomorrow Ill take any out that are not marked.

5. fosterson

fosterson Chillin' With My Peeps

I doubt one day would make much difference but yeah. Take the unmarked eggs starting tomorrow. Usually, once a broody gets to sitting, she's not going to let another hen lay on her nest.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and good luck with that broody hen.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I bet your poor husband won't be quick to do more chicken favors for you. Hope he has recovered from the surprise assault.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by