1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi everyone

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hettie, Jan 21, 2014.

1. hettie

hettie New Egg

Jan 21, 2014
    I have had my three hens for 6mths I did have four but hettie ( hence my user name) was taken by a buzzard.
    I love my chickens and they are happy to lay me an egg each every morning.
    I have a concern tho with Blossom who has had a bald patch for quite a while today it looked quite red anyone know what it is [​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

That looks like aggression from the others. If you have a rooster, he can wear a path on the backs of the hens as well. And of course look them over for mites, lice or any bugs as this will cause feather loss as well. Make sure you have plenty of room in the coop and run. It helps to give them something to do when they are in close quarters. You can hang veggies, cabbages or even a pecking seed block will take their minds of each other and give them something else to peck at. Keep them on a good diet that has enough protein. Feather plucking or picking can be caused from the need for protein. You can feed them some cooked ground beef or ground turkey a couple times a week to add more protein to the diet.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

1 person likes this.
  3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! TwoCrows gave you great advice. You can buy her a hen saddle and if the area is red/bleeding spray it with BlueKote to prevent picking and or cannibalism, good luck to you.

2 people like this.
  4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! TwoCrows and Liz9910 gave you great advice. You might consider Pinless Peepers for awhile if one of the other two is a feather picker.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

6. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. ChicknsRock

ChicknsRock Overrun With Chickens

Oct 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

8. Nofowlplay

Nofowlplay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2013
    In the backyard
    Hope she is better soon! You will love B Y C!:cd

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. If you do not have a rooster, that is the work of a feather plucker.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by