Hi Everyone!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by H Diamond, Feb 2, 2014.

1. H Diamond

H Diamond Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2014
    Hi all, I'm Rachel from SE Colorado( not Pueblo, the real SE Colorado... the part only a few minutes from Oklahoma ad Kansas). I have been lurking for awhile on BYC, and figured I better just go ahead and join! I'm a born and raised farm girl, and no stranger to animal care. That being said, haven't ever had my own chickens. We have usually left that our grandmas. :) Grandma is now tired of the chores, and I can't live without my farm eggs (who wants to eat those pale yoked nutrient lacking things from the store! Lol), so we are entering into the world of chicken keeping.
    I have 25 chicks on order from McMurray for a Feb 10th arrival. I'll be honest, I am getting more nervous as the days get closer, and am somewhat regretting ordering for a February delivery. Also ordering from a hatchery that is pretty far form me. That being said, the post office has been notified already, and am prepared as best as can be in hopes they make it here ok! I know there is a solid chance we might lose some, but hoping not too many!
    Until I started looking into getting our own chickens, I never knew there was such a wide variety of breeds/types. I perused the chicken chart and BYC and decided to try a mixed flock to see which ones I liked best. Going to try EE's, Welsummers, Speckled Sussex, Delawares, Buff Orpingtons, Golden Wyandotte, Barred Rock, and a couple Red Stars. I probably shouldn't have ordered so many different ones at once, but I just couldn't narrow it down any further! And I wanted an assortment of egg colors ( I know... all eggs are the same on the inside, lol, but why not enjoy the endeavor that you're embarking on?) All are sexed except for the Welsummers, and those were only available as straight run. Hopefully not all will come as roosters, but you never know!
    A little about us... my husband is a farmer, and I spend as much time as I can helping him. I also work as a Dispatcher at the local Sheriff's Office, and am an EMT-I for local EMS also. I raise dairy goats (with a few grade/market type crosses in there as well). I primarily have Sables (which are just the colored version of Saanens), and kidding season started last night! I also have 3 BLM burros that we adopted a few years ago.
    So, I guess that's my story. Thanks for all the wonderful advice and info available on this forum! It has been very helpful so far, and I am positive it will be in the future. I have enjoyed reading all the fun stories and seeing all the pictures so far.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!

Yes, ordering this time of year can be tricky. But some of them will always make it. Have everything ready at home and be at the PO when they do arrive. Chicks are pretty tough and I will keep my fingers crossed that they arrive safely. [​IMG]

Good luck with your new babies and enjoy BYC!

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Hope the weather cooperates for when your chicks ship, and everybody arrives safely. Sounds like a nice assortment of breeds you've ordered.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. Good luck with your future chicks! You've picked out a nice selection of breeds.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    :welcome

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I like you attitude - you really understand the pitfalls and are okay with it. You'll be just fine.

8. H Diamond

H Diamond Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2014
    Thanks everyone :)

9. Welcome to BYC![​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by