Hi everyone!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JKNATX, Aug 13, 2014.

1. JKNATX

JKNATX New Egg

Aug 3, 2014
    Texas Hill Country
    I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Josh and I'm new to the BYC forums. My wife and I have visited the BYC website in the past for ideas on coops and other info about various breeds and have found a ton of great info, so we thought we would set up a user account.

We have a small mixed flock and plan on expanding. Our flock consists of: Three Americaunas; two hens, Mary & Connie, and one roo, Jerry. Two RIR hens, Edie & Yogi. Three Silkies; two hens, Sugar & Spice, and one roo, Suki. We also have two Rio Grande turkeys; one tom, Tom, and one hen, Jane. All very sweet birds that love to keep us entertained.

I just completed the majority of the work on our large coop. Still have trim to put up, gutters, and a run for when we're not here, we can keep them in it for protection. They go in and out of their coop during the day to eat, drink and sleep even though there is plenty of food, water, and places to perch around the house. They all file in their coop at 8:00 and all I have to do is go out at about 8:15 and lock everything up. I let them out at 6:45 every morning after inspecting the area for raccoons and other predators. Very smart birds, not to mention addictive! We want more! :)

We look forward to meeting you guys, reading your stories and swapping ideas and are excited to join BYC!

~Josh

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I love your flock names! Sounds like you are enjoying them!

Good luck with your remaining projects. Feel free to ask questions.

Glad you joined!

3. mspenny

mspenny Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2014
    Hi,I'm hatching 42 eggs in a Hovabator still air. Have 15 Mixed New Hampshire hens w/Barred Rock rooster. Wish me success not luck.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. My wife and I were both raised in the great state of Texas, and my son's name is Josh. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your coop built.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sounds like you are enjoying your flock! They are so much fun to keep.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. JKNATX

JKNATX New Egg

Aug 3, 2014
    Texas Hill Country
    It's nice to meet everyone! :)

I was wondering if anyone has a favorite breed of chicken, or bird?

It's kind of a tie for me. I love the independence the Americaunas have. They are such drama queens! Very good foragers, they also seem to be very protective of their space and chase off rabbits which I find very amusing! Although I know they would fly over fences in the city, luckily that's not an issue in the country. I don't clip their wings because I want them to get away quickly should they encounter a predator.

At the same time, the turkeys are just as good if not better at foraging and are more comical. The other day, Jane, my Rio Grande hen was gazing with amazement at a red-shouldered hawk in the sky as it was making its "kee-aah" sound. -I think she fell in love with the hawk! Hahaha! The chickens didn't seem to care too much...

9. JKNATX

JKNATX New Egg

Aug 3, 2014
    Texas Hill Country

I look forward to doing the same thing eventually with my Americaunas and Rio Grands.

I wish you great enjoyment as a witness to the great miracle of life.

10. JKNATX

JKNATX New Egg

Aug 3, 2014
    Texas Hill Country
    Nice to meet you, Michael. We're out in the hill country. There is no place we would rather be! I'll post some pics of the coop and run when everything is complete and looking nice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by