Hi everyone!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by georgejlee, Jan 2, 2015.

1. georgejlee

georgejlee Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2015
    San Mateo, CA
    I've lurked for a while on these forums and have been learning a lot about raising chickens. I've had chickens in my backyard in San Mateo, CA for over three year now. I began by free-ranging some White Leghorns and Rhode Island Reds in the backyard, but after a while got tired of constantly cleaning up the mess. Also I wanted to plant vegetables without having chickens scratch them all up! Now I have a nice enclosed run for them, and am on my third generation of chickens. Most recently I discovered that one of my golden sex linked "hens" was actually a rooster when it started crowing! I don't know how that happened, I thought sex linked chicks
    were easier to sex...

I work as a software engineer, specializing in data analysis. I spent five years at Twitter and over two at Google, and recently I've been spending more time thinking about how to use my skills to help backyard and urban farmers. I believe that promoting small local agriculture is essential to fix the problems with our food system. After reading several forum posts on chicken management software I was inspired to create something better than what's out there today. If this is something that interests you as well, please contact me or take a look at my web site in my profile and give me your feedback. Thanks!

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) A gender mix up like that should not happen with sex links, which can be easily sexed by color at hatching. Golden Sex Link is one of many labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links, and the chicks are easily distinguished (male chicks are whitish, female chicks are reddish). Perhaps one of the RIR or Production Red chicks somehow accidentally ending up in the Red Sex Link tray. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in your goal of helping backyard and urban farmers.

3. georgejlee

georgejlee Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2015
    San Mateo, CA
    Thanks Michael. Definitely not a RIR though, the chicken in question is my profile avatar. Is it possible it started as a hen and turned into a rooster?? I heard that this is possible in some rare cases.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Hens cannot turn into roosters. That idea probably got started because older hens will on rare occasions take up the role of the rooster in a roosterless flock, even to the point of crowing. I don't know how it happened, but your rooster is some kind of hatchery breeding or sorting mistake. Strange mistakes happen with hatcheries once in a while. I'm sorry you ending up with an unwanted rooster.

5. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

8. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

10. CrazyChookz

CrazyChookz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Chasing Chooks
    [​IMG] and have a happy 2015!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by