Hi Fellow Chicken Lovers!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by diamnd57, Oct 1, 2017.

1. diamnd57

diamnd57 In the Brooder

Aug 31, 2017
    My name is Karen and I live at the Jersey Shore. I have 8 girls - 4 Americaunas and 4 RI Reds. Their health and welfare is my biggest concern --fresh eggs would be a bonus!We have a nice roomy coop with 4 nesting boxes on one side, adequate ventilaiton and all the rest of the things that they require and some they just like!
    I hope to gain valuable information from all of you on the best ways to care for our girls! Any and all advice is appreciated!

I want to be sure I am maintaining their coop (indoor) and run to maximize their health but I'm a little overwhelmed with all the information and opinions I'm finding. If you could post your maintenance schedule, the supplies you use and and your process I would appreciate it.

2. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you've joined us!

In my coop, we have poop boards set up under the roosts which we scrape off with a paint scraper in to a bucket which gets dumped in to the compost. We SHOULD do it daily but sometimes that doesn't happen. The poop boards help to keep the bedding on the floor cleaner for longer. On the floor of the coop, we use pine shavings and the deep litter method. We mix the shaving around every now and then and just add more to it. The coop gets cleaned out completely and new shavings added once a year. Everything stays pretty clean for the most part and the girls enjoy their days out free ranging and hunting for bugs.

It will take some time to find out what works best for you. There is a wealth of knowledge on this site and a lot of advice and methods available :)

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Karen, welcome to BYC.

rjohns39 likes this.
  4. rjohns39

rjohns39 Addict

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi Karen and welcome to BYC:frow We're so happy you've joined us:ya

N F C likes this.
  5. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    welcometoBYC.jpeg You have a great attitude!

rjohns39 and N F C like this.
  6. N F C

N F C Poo happens, move on

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Hi Karen, it's nice to have you here! It can be easy to get overwhelmed with lots of opinions and advice. Just take what makes the most sense to you and your situation and start there...things will probably modify as time goes on and you get more comfortable with routine chores.

rjohns39 and ronott1 like this.
  7. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Did you candle today?

rjohns39 and ronott1 like this.
  8. RodNTN

RodNTN Hatchaolic

May 22, 2013
    The Volunteer State
    My Coop
    Hello there! :frow And :welcome It is wonderful to have you here with us, best wishes! :)

ronott1 and rjohns39 like this.
  9. blackdust951

blackdust951 Ostrich egg

Jul 24, 2017
    NSW Australia
    My Coop
    :welcomehello Karen:frowand welcome to backyard chickens!thank you for joining us:yesss::ya

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens Karen. It's very nice to meet you.:frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: