Hi Fellow Chicken Lovers!

diamnd57

In the Brooder
Aug 31, 2017
My name is Karen and I live at the Jersey Shore. I have 8 girls - 4 Americaunas and 4 RI Reds. Their health and welfare is my biggest concern --fresh eggs would be a bonus!We have a nice roomy coop with 4 nesting boxes on one side, adequate ventilaiton and all the rest of the things that they require and some they just like!
I hope to gain valuable information from all of you on the best ways to care for our girls! Any and all advice is appreciated!

I want to be sure I am maintaining their coop (indoor) and run to maximize their health but I'm a little overwhelmed with all the information and opinions I'm finding. If you could post your maintenance schedule, the supplies you use and and your process I would appreciate it.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you've joined us!

In my coop, we have poop boards set up under the roosts which we scrape off with a paint scraper in to a bucket which gets dumped in to the compost. We SHOULD do it daily but sometimes that doesn't happen. The poop boards help to keep the bedding on the floor cleaner for longer. On the floor of the coop, we use pine shavings and the deep litter method. We mix the shaving around every now and then and just add more to it. The coop gets cleaned out completely and new shavings added once a year. Everything stays pretty clean for the most part and the girls enjoy their days out free ranging and hunting for bugs.

It will take some time to find out what works best for you. There is a wealth of knowledge on this site and a lot of advice and methods available :)

welcometoBYC.jpeg
You have a great attitude!

:welcome

Hi Karen, it's nice to have you here! It can be easy to get overwhelmed with lots of opinions and advice. Just take what makes the most sense to you and your situation and start there...things will probably modify as time goes on and you get more comfortable with routine chores.

Back
Top Bottom