1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Hi fellow chicken lovers!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jesseanne, May 20, 2010.

1. Jesseanne

Jesseanne In the Brooder

May 17, 2010
    Pensacola
    I have had chickens for exactly one year now. I have 13 hens and 1 rooster. For never having had any experience with chickens, the first year went pretty well. They have a nice chicken coup and they free range everyday in our back yard which is about an acre in size. I do have one concern that troubles me. Our rooster is so hard on the hens. Every one of the 13 girls has a bald spot on their backs as a result of his vigorous mating. He grabs them by the neck with his beak and pulls feathers out there, too. They try to run away from him and when he catches them they squawk loudly. Now that the sun is getting so hot the hens bald backs are getting sunburned . Is this normal? Is there anything that I can do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Songster

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    [​IMG] [​IMG] You need to get some chicken saddles. They really do work. I have used them myself and they are not hard to make if you know how to sew a little. I have made some too.

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    [​IMG] and a Texas size: [​IMG] You need some chicken saddles. [​IMG]

4. rebecky1305

rebecky1305 Songster

Aug 19, 2009
    Lansing, MI
  5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Crowing

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio.

6. Lolita

Lolita Songster

Nov 2, 2008
    FL
    [​IMG]

7. Jesseanne

Jesseanne In the Brooder

May 17, 2010
    Pensacola
    Thanks for the welcome and the advice about saddles for my hens. This leads to another question: My chickens are not accustom to being picked up and held. How do I get the saddles on them. Would you suggest I catch them and put them on or is it better to wait until they are asleep on their roosts and then put them on?

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    [​IMG]

9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by