Hi first week of keeping chickens

irladd

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 20, 2013
Eastleigh, Hants, UK
Hi. This is my first week of keeping two chickens. Today we had our first egg although it was soft shelled and broken. I have put some mixed grit in their run. But am sure that as it was their first egg that's why it was broken. Am I correct in this assumption.

Yes, if I am correct in assuming these pullets are only just starting to lay. It can take a few weeks to get into the swing of egg production and when they are young, you can get eggs like this.

When you say mixed grit, is it something with calcium in it, like oyster shell? or sometimes called shell grit? This is important for them to get the calcium for the egg shells. They should eat as much of it as they wish, as they know when they need it.

If they have a source of calcium as well as a good feed mix (which will have calcium too) then it should stop after the first month or two of laying.

Let us know if it keeps up longer than that. I had one girl keep doing it and I give her a liquid supplement of trace elements and amino acids, as well as a liquid calcium supplement. But that was only because she was still doing it about once a week after four months of laying. Hopefully, you won't need to bother with that.

Good luck - and congratulations on your first chickens, they are so lovely to have around!

Last edited:
Many thanks for the advice. I have thrown the mixed grit on to floor of their run. This includes oyster shell. The chickens are 20 weeks old. Should I put the mixed grit in a bowl or something similar rather than on the ground.

Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC

I throw my oyter shell on the ground, mix it in their feed and have a large feeder with just oyster shells in it. I think anything will work as long as they can get a bite when they want it :)

Good luck with your hens and eggs

Howdy from Kansas, irladd, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased to have you here! Spikes Chooks gave you some great advice. Good luck to you and your hens.

Back
Top Bottom