1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi folks !

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MickInOhio, Feb 21, 2014.

1. MickInOhio

MickInOhio Just Hatched

Feb 21, 2014
    Guernsey County , Ohio
    As my name says,, I'm Mick and from Ohio . The wife and I have 3 dogs , 1 cat and raising 2 grandchildren in SE Ohio on about 10 acres. Being transplanted city folks , we need all the help we can get :) .

We are looking to raise some chickens for eggs for a more healthy family and teach the grandkids ( 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 ) the things we missed out on growing up.

I look forward to the learning experience. Any and all facts , opinions and humor will be greatly appreciated !

Mick

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Hello Mick and welcome to BYC!

If you need any tips and pointers on keeping your flock, check out our learning center. Lots of good reads on building the coop, raising the babies, feeding and keeping your flock healthy...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Great to have you aboard and enjoy all your poultry adventures!

3. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Hi Mick, [​IMG] We are glad you joined us! First things first, there is nothing better then learning what works best in your area of the country so hop on in at the end of your state thread and introduce yourself:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/12049/ohio-come-on-buckeyes-let-me-know-your-out-there

Glad you are teaching them about chickens, be careful they really are the gateway livestock. Next thing you know some goat milk will start sounding good... One very important tip...Chicken math is a real thing...build bigger then you think you need...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  4. Chickenloving

Chickenloving Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2012
    Clucking along
    Welcome to BYC!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

5. MickInOhio

MickInOhio Just Hatched

Feb 21, 2014
    Guernsey County , Ohio
    ForeverLearning , Love that " chickens are the gateway livestock " much like a " gateway drug". I was in law enforcement and that cracked me up ! A couple of friends I grew up with also moved to some acreage and that is exactly what happened to them. Goats , mini donkeys ducks and a pot bellied pig !

Thanks all for the well wishes , I have much to learn but time is on my side.

Mick

1 person likes this.
  6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright Mick, [​IMG] great to have you joining the flock [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member