Hi from a newbie in central VA!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by EnonChickenDaddy, Jun 17, 2011.

1. EnonChickenDaddy

EnonChickenDaddy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Chester, VA
    Hello from VA!!!

I am a new chicken daddy, but have been a reader of BYC for about 1 year. A friend of mine that I work with got his first chickens last spring and has been telling me about their antics since. After listening to his stories and seeing the coop/run that he built, I just knew I had to check this chicken thing out first hand. He also introduced me to you fine people in BYC.

So, for about a year I’d been checking out everyone’s stories and coop projects, learning little tidbits along the way. The most important thing I think I learned was to build your coop before you get your chickens…they grow fast.

I had been hinting around to my wife over the past year that I might want to get chickens one day and she was all for it. Come the first of May, 2011 we made a trip to the chicken ladies little store and picked out 5 little one’s just one week old. I wanted 5 different breeds so I told my wife and daughter they could each pick one out. My wife said that she also had to pick one out for our grandson, because he loves “Chicka” which is a puppet chicken on his favorite TV show. This one had to look like “Chicka” so she picked out a Buff Orp. and called it “Chicka”. We also ended up with a Rhode Island Red, White Leghorn, Barred Rock and a Black Sex Link. Is this a good combo…I don’t know, but I can tell them apart and they look good.

Oh yeah…by the way…At this point, I still hadn’t built a coop. I guess I didn’t learn as much as I thought. Well…I’ll be okay…I’ve got plenty of time.

Next thing I know it’s…“OMG I’ve gotta hurry up and build this thing”, the 15 gallon fish tank is getting smaller and smaller by the minute.

Well I did just that and everything worked out just fine. They are 7 weeks old now and have been outside on their own for about 3 weeks. They spent their first night sleeping on the roost bar last night…I’m so proud.

The coops about 90% done, still need to build the nest boxes, do some trim work and paint. Once all that’s done I’ll post and share some pics.

Take care for now…

2. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Love the breeds ya'll chose [​IMG]

5. renart

renart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Kingston, WA
    [​IMG] from NW Washington State! [​IMG]

6. Luckytaz

Luckytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Rogers, Mn.
    Welcome, from Minnesota.

7. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    [​IMG] from MD!

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

10. FiveAcres

FiveAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    White, GA
    [​IMG] from NW Georgia!! Glad that you are here!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by