1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi from a newbie in the Willamette Valley, OR

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by florchica, Apr 26, 2011.

1. florchica

florchica Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Independence, OR
    Looks like this is the thing to do so here goes:

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    Yes, and no. I've been around them casually; my in-laws have around 40 laying hens and we sell eggs as part of our offerings at our farmers market booth. Personally I just got seriously into them this past January when I was convinced to give a black bantam cochin frizzle "housechicken" a new home. I guess you could say I went from one extreme (considering them simply smelly livestock) to the other (my chicken literally living inside my house and achieving equal status to the dogs!). The chicken bug bit hard & I'm thoroughly immersed in chicken keeping now.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    Somehow I have found myself with 11 birds... I consider 5 of them to be "keepers" and the other 6 are possibly for sale when they're a bit larger but who knows?

(3) What breeds do you have?
    1- buff orpington pullet (approx 15 weeks old)
    1- golden-laced wyandotte pullet (5 weeks old)
    6- black bantam silkies (5 weeks old)
    1- partridge bantam cochin frizzle cockerel (approx 6 weeks old)
    2- partridge bantam cochin pullets (approx 8 weeks old)

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    Hmmm... Web searches the first time I think.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    I'm outdoorsy, an avid gardener, I remodel and build things (like coops). I just finished a "large" chicken tractor today. (Man, I wish I could post pics already!)

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    I'm a 30-something market farmer who grows and sells plants, produce, berries and eggs at local farmers markets; the farm (Bermudez Family Farm) can be found on facebook. I have 2 dogs: a Chihuahua and a Min Pin. At my in-laws nearby small farm I keep 3 horses: a 31 year old appaloosa and two American Curly Horses. We also enjoy a saltwater aquarium. I'm married (ten years this summer) to a wonderful guy who graciously puts up with all my hobbies and critters who are for all intents and purposes, our children.

As far as chickens go, I'm an absolute nut for bantam cochin frizzles and would love to find local available birds. I'm still in the learning phase right now but down the road I would love to have small breeding flocks for various colors of the cochin frizzles. I've figured out some of the basics but still have much to learn. I'm looking forward to the forums here to help me locate other local bird breeders and poultry events.

2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] from Indiana!!!! [​IMG]

3. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama.

4. florchica

Apr 23, 2011
    Independence, OR
    I know I read the answer to this somewhere but I can't remember...

I'm feeling left out- how come most all newbies (but me) get cute little chickies by their names and their topics are bold?
    Just feelin' a little inferior here! [​IMG]

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    [​IMG] from NM!

6. Alexis

Alexis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:Those are the topics you haven't read yet! So... your chickie WAS there when I clicked on it, but now it's not because I've been here already. [​IMG]

7. florchica

Apr 23, 2011
    Independence, OR
    Thanks Alexis- now I feel special again! lol

8. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Welcome Florchica.. I am an avid chicken collector in the Willamette valley also... I am sprung on the chocolate egg laying marans.. WELCOME TO BYC.... I am out of Woodburn/Hubbard.

9. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, glad you decided to join us.

10. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from Maine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by