Hi from a Small Louisiana town

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Aziara, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Aziara

Aziara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2016
    Hello everyone!
    I'm from a little town called Abbeville in south central Louisiana. Turns out my town is so small, they have very little restrictions on poultry and fowl, so long as they don't make a stink, are domestic breeds (no wild/exotics), and have proper shelter and room, I shouldn't run into trouble. Huzzah!

I'm currently raising some young quail for eggs, and hopefully some meat when I cull the excess males. I'm throwing around the idea of having 2-3 chickens as well. Not sure about a rooster through. I have VERY nice neighbors and I don't want them to hate me for the early morning noise!

My mom raises chickens (a flock of 26 that contains Black Astralorps, Buff Orpingtons, and Rhode Island Reds), that range all over her 1/2 acre backyard. They are the happiest chickens I've ever had the pleasure to meet. One of her Buffs in particular is becoming a pet of mine. She loves to sit on my lap and be held. I think she may escape the usual retirement plan--the crockpot, lol.

I really have my 15 month old daughter to thank for getting me interested in chickens again. She is OBSESSED with her Memaw's chickens. The first thing she says when she wakes up in the morning is "Bauk bauk?" which means "When are we going to Memaw's and see her chickens???" Amazing how seeing things anew through your kid's eyes makes you appreciate them more.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads. I think that i just saw your avatar on a quail thread, so you know about that forum already.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
    CT

3. uncertainty

uncertainty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2015
    Great White North
    Hi Aziara; so glad you have joined BYC. I also have my first flock. BYC is a great resource and the members are so generous with their advice.

4. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you have joined us! There's TONS of very helpful people and advice/tips. I've never raised quail before, but they sound pretty cool! Good luck with your poultry adventures! :)
    henny1129

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Yes, those Orpingtons sure are lap lovers, aren't they? My girls beg to sit on my lap and I can't sit anywhere without a bird jumping up on my lap to have their love tanks full for the day.

I keep quail too! Bobwhites....fun little birds to keep. Definitely stop by our quail section to for some quail talk and sharing... https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/48/quail

Great to have you aboard and we do welcome you to our flock! :)

7. LaurelTree

LaurelTree Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2016
    Central Florida
    Welcome to BYC! I wish you the best of luck with getting everything started for your birds! And I'm so glad you and your daughter get to experience that.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope you enjoy Backyard chickens as much as we do.

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I think I like your daughter! Wonderful that the restrictions, if you can call it that, in your town is so lenient.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by