1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Hi from across the Pond

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RosieMcGoomba, Jul 25, 2013.

1. RosieMcGoomba

RosieMcGoomba In the Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    Hi everyone!

My name's Rosemary and I'm from Scotland. I've just ordered four Cuckoo Marans for myself and my little family. These are the first hens I'll have had since I was little, and I'm desperately looking forward to it!

I have a small-ish garden and half of it is dedicated to growing our own; the other half will now be for our chickens and their coop.

I've joined this site because you're all chicken crazy and I love that. I hope my chickens and I make a bunch of new friends here :)

1 person likes this.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, Rosemary, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us! Enjoy your chickens - I have some CMs and they are great birds!

1 person likes this.
  3. RosieMcGoomba

Jul 22, 2013
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    Thanks, I'd been told that they're friendly. I've been used to Hy-lines and Sussex hens, but these ones are bred for hardy conditions, and as our last winter recorded -30 degrees c I didn't want to take any chances!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  4. liz9910

liz9910 Crowing

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I had a CM but sadly turned out to be a rooster :( had to re-home him.

1 person likes this.
  5. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Songster

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG]Hi [​IMG] pics as soon as you can [​IMG] lol

1 person likes this.
  6. RosieMcGoomba

Jul 22, 2013
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    Thanks guys, everyone's being very welcoming :D

Shame about the rooster, but, dare I say that they make the most wonderful pot roasts?

I think that it's very important to put as much love and effort into growing people, animals and plants as you can. I was so upset yesterday because I hadn't been out to look at my Brussels sprouts in a day and a half and was MORTIFIED to find that one of the plants was crawling with black, white and yellow caterpillars! Had it been two weeks later, I'm sure my new hens would have prevented this slip-up! And had a lovely dinner to boot ;) We live and learn I suppose.

Speaking of learning; I've heard that using chicken poo on your fruit bushes makes the plant produce more fruit...Has anyone heard of this? I have lots of blackcurrants, gooseberries and loganberries to feed if this is the case!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] the caterpillars would have made the girls very happy

1 person likes this.