Hi from Adelaide Australia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AussieChics, Sep 7, 2014.

1. AussieChics

AussieChics Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2014
    Adelaide Australia
    Hi everyone! Ive been a lurker since November (when I got my first chicks) and I nearly come here everyday for advice so thought it was time to join as I seem to have more questions everyday.

At the moment I have 2 egg laying hens (Shadow and Black Ops, which my 11yo son kindly named), we had them from a few days old. We did have more but 2 died and 2 were very handsome roosters that my neighbors disliked very much. I'm not sure what they are. One is black and one is black with a few brown feathers.

I recently purchased 2 more younger chickens (definitely girls this time) I think they are probably about 10 weeks old going by pics in the forums. Has been funny watching the pecking order being enforced but also rather disturbing. As the new ones clearly came from a farm they are used to roosting up high so they sleep on top of the nesting box rather then in it. Which is probably a good idea considering...... My hen went broody on Tuesday. I thought Id see how she would go for a few days then gave in and got a dozen fertile eggs (well I think they are).

Very intriguing watching her move them etc. So I checked them at bed time and both the black hens were in the nesting box. No problem with that because they sleep together everyday and are the bestest friends! I check on them this morning and the other hen has decided well I'm going to be broody as well! She even pulled out a few chest feathers to help keep them warm and have split the eggs up between themselves lol

All very exciting! Except I now need to buy my own eggs for a while ;-)

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

BYC has a very useful learning center [​IMG]

Now you can ask all the questions you like [​IMG]

My problem broody pullet ......

[​IMG]
    Here she is at 23 week old with her first hatch ....

[​IMG]
    Here total chicks at two weeks old ....

[​IMG]
    She went missing for awhile and showed up last week with these fluff balls [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This time she went with a smaller amount of egg's ... [​IMG]

Enjoy all your poultry ventures [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    G'day, and welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. I'm sorry about the loss of your two hens. It's always sad to lose some of our chooks. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your hatches.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  5. kikithebird

kikithebird Chillin' With My Peeps

hello and welcom to byc

6. LIChickens

LIChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Long Island, NY
    Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So sorry for your losses. [​IMG]I hope your heavy heart can heal soon.

Definitely stop by the Australian thread to chat with your chicken neighbors. Sumi has left you with the link.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with the broody hatch! Sorry for your chick losses.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

Good luck with the hatch!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    G'day Welcome to BYC , so glad you joined the flock. We have a large Australian community on here - you can also find some online at the Emu threads. I would love to know how your broody situation turns out. Sometimes though, the hens will squabble over the chicks, if so you would need to separate them at that time. When it does work out, it allows for one hen to run out eat, drink, poo while the other baby sits.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by