Hi From Alberta, Canada

Welshies

Crowing
May 8, 2016
Alberta, Canada
Hi everyone! Just introducing myself, a humble bird lady from Alberta, Canada:)
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I first got birds last year, when I picked up 8 Rouen-cross ducklings. I kept them for a year before finally butchering them (the water was too much, as I don't have running water at the coops). I finally got 20 Wyandotte chicks this spring, and 20 Coturnix quail. $300 worth- and after 10 weeks they got eaten by a fox. :barnie But I am back at it once again, more determined than ever!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I have 4 hens, now. They are barnyard mixes, and I am soon obtaining a silkie hen and a rooster. Their names are Hurricane Katrina (she is a mean little girl, but I love it), Wobbles (can't fly or roost), Lupus (black chicken with gold, wolf-like eyes) and another hen that isn't named yet.:love

(3) What breeds do you have?

They are all barnyard mixes, but I would love to raise Sumatras, Sussex, and Dorkings.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

I found it while internet surfing. It has been so, so helpful and I am very thankful:D

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

My other hobbies are simple. I love carpentry, reading, all animals, animal husbandry, skiing and quadding. I also enjoy hanging with friends and family.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I am in a family of eight, still living with my parents. I have a pet rabbit named Fredrick who runs with my chickens in the run during the day, and they are so scared of him!:lau He pays them no mind, just seeks out all the clover he can. I also have a dog named River, who is a chocolate lab and my best friend:love. She lets the chickens climb and peck on her, and is such a good girl.
When I move out I am planning on raising 5 different chicken breeds, Cayuga and Muscovy ducks, guinea fowl, turkeys, quail, pheasants, and of course rabbits. I also hope to learn about raising meat goats and sheep.:thumbsup
I apologize for not introducing myself earlier. I have been a part of BYC "unofficially" for a year.:lol:

Thanks for the intro.
Glad you decided to join us.

Make sure you double check you coop to help keep those mean predators out.

Love your avatar, is that your puppy? Glad you came out as an official BYC member. You may be interested in the "Jest another Day in Pear A Dice," thread, started & narrated by a great gal from Alberta. She and hubby have chickens, ducks, geese, swans, llama, hair sheep and Aussie Cattle dogs.

Tara knows a great deal about genetics and has been working onher "Chanticleer " line ofchickens , A breed which originated in Canada to handle the harsh weather

Love your avatar, is that your puppy? Glad you came out as an official BYC member. You may be interested in the "Jest another Day in Pear A Dice," thread, started & narrated by a great gal from Alberta. She and hubby have chickens, ducks, geese, swans, llama, hair sheep and Aussie Cattle dogs.

Tara knows a great deal about genetics and has been working onher "Chanticleer " line ofchickens , A breed which originated in Canada to handle the harsh weather
Actually, he is not my puppy. He is my dog's puppy- we bred her and he was my favorite of the litter, but we are keeping one from the next litter. We called him Proxy.
Thank you for the thread suggestion- I will check that out.

Back
Top Bottom