Hi from Alberta heres my story!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by New Hatcher, Jul 25, 2010.

1. New Hatcher

New Hatcher Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Central Alberta Canada
    Hi all![​IMG] My name doesn't lie I'm new to hatching out eggs in the incubator but not really to chickens. We started out with 4 hand me down chickens 3 mix banty hens and a banty rooster. Sadly we had to do a lot of learning from them and now only have the rooster left. We then got 25 Red Rock Cross hens, the next year we bought 25 Red Sussex cross the following year 25 Rhode Island Reds. We did very well losing few and using the eggs to sell to raise money for our kids. So all them chickens cost us money but we like them. My Son was then given 1 white silkie rooster and 2 black silkie hens. I think that opened the gates for me because I didn't really have much to do with them until then. We now have an incubator ( in lockdown with 2 pipped eggs on day 19) I set 14 silkie eggs and 28 mix ( from said hen breeds, and said rooster, and an Ameraucanas rooster) I have now re-done my horse barn to house chickens and hove scoured the net finding info on breeds, how to get what colored eggs anything I can. I drive my family nuts with chicken info and now know more than my grandma about chickens [​IMG] I have fallen in love with the Marans breed and hope to have some eggs in my hands by next week:fl I have even dragged my cousin in and she loves the Easter Eggers. So I now have a dozen of those as well. The only reason I'm up late and writing this much in a welcome post is because as I said before I have 2 piped eggs in my very first hatch!! I may be posting a lot to night and maybe make up MY PAGE while I wait for the little fuzz butts to come out! I hope to works!![​IMG] So welcome to all those new with me I have already learned a lot from all the posts and this is my go too for info!![​IMG] My Grandma is a little disappointed I'v found another resource though, but now we can learn together!!!

2. mohicanmuntjacs

mohicanmuntjacs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    Welcome New Hatcher!!! And good luck on the hatch. It feels like an eternity waiting for those first chicks to hatch. But it sure is worth it when you take that first batch of fuzz balls out of the incubator.

3. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from California. I enjoyed your post.
    I drive my family nuts with chicken info and now know more than my grandma about chickens

This seems to be a hazard of this hobby! Best of luck! [​IMG]

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] & [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi and welcome from MN. I lived in Red Deer for 12 years so am familiar with your area. Beautiful but how do you keep the bears out?[​IMG]

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    Hi!

7. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Hi from BC there is allot of good chicken breeders in Alberta. I used to read ACE.

I got some FBCM hatching eggs from Heidi @ Greendale Farms in Chilliwack BC. Good colour. She ships.
    I also got some hatching eggs from Cree Farms. Excellent colour.

8. New Hatcher

Jul 21, 2010
    Central Alberta Canada
    Quote:Well the bears are not the big problem right now! We have had our chickens free ranging since the snow left ( loved to lay in bed and listen to the girls clucking) we had almost 40 some chickens and didn't notice any were missing until we only had 20. Then it took a few days to get pens sorted out to put them back under cover ( My son was given 3 silkies for his birthday so we had to build another run) By the time we got everyone under lockdown we only had 14 left and my Amerucana roo was missing too:( We had someone stop and tell us they seen a cougar cross the road just by our house so I think that that was what was getting my birds. But who knows here there is a lot of wild life!! I haven't had to worry about bears ....... YET!!

9. New Hatcher

Jul 21, 2010
    Central Alberta Canada
    Quote:I tried to join ACE but it wouldn't work and I couldn't reach anyone to help me. I think BYC is better [​IMG]. I'm in the process of ordering Wheaten Marans from Heidi right now! I hope it works out I just love them I hope to find some of the blue verities later too.

10. New Hatcher

Jul 21, 2010
    Central Alberta Canada
    Oh I just thought I would let everyone know that I have one fuzz but out and 6 more eggs piped on my first hatch Woot Woot!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by