Hi from Aloha, OR

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by brshooter, Nov 28, 2012.

1. brshooter

brshooter Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2012
    Aloha, OR
    Hi everyone. There's a new flock in Aloha these days. We have picked up 6 girls. We had no idea how much fun they would be. I had chickens 40 years ago when I was a kid, but I don't remember them being this entertaining and with so much personality. They are great for my wife. Gini is disabled and visually impaired. She has cortical blindness from a stroke she suffered during surgery a few years ago. She sees enough to have lots of fun with the girls and sits outside with them for hours. I'm between jobs now so I get to spend some time with them as well.

The three older girls (36 weeks) just started laying about 6 weeks ago. We were getting 2-3 eggs a day from the three girls, but that has dropped to 1-2 eggs a day. They have light for about 14 hours a day, but it must be a winter slow down. Not sure if I should expect eggs from the 3 younger girls (27 weeks) this winter or not. The eggs are just a bonus anyway. Between the coop and fencing, we could have bought eggs for life. We just figured that the first dozen cost $1000.00 and the rest are paid for :)) The joy they bring to my wife is worth it.

This site has been a wealth of knowledge. Thank you all so much for sharing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Your chickens are beautiful! I'm glad to hear they bring you and your wife so much joy. They really are amazing little creatures.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Wonderful assortment of hens!

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, brshooter, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our flock! First of all, let me say what beautiful birds you have - they look happy and so healthy! Secondly, I wish you and your wife well! Good luck to you!

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Beautiful pictures of your birds!

8. brshooter

brshooter Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2012
    Aloha, OR
    Thanks for the welcome everyone :))

Bill

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by