Hi from Arizona!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Cochincrzy, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Cochincrzy

Cochincrzy New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    I'm new to BYC, though I have looked at this site often for advice. Finally decided it's time to join!

I've always had chickens strictly for eggs for as long as I can remember. Just recently, my husband and I decided we wanted to get our own purebred chickens to raise and of course, still for eggs. We have a nice group of RIR hens that we're only raising eggs for eating at this time, they are my husbands favorites and I simply love their personalities and temperament.

I just recently got introduced to Cochin Bantams...I am in LOVE[​IMG]I have a few I have found around AZ but I can never seem to find what I want. So last night we got our own incubator and I plan to order from Lucky Pickens Farm once I get it figured out! I've heard nothing but amazing things about Lucky Pickens Farms and I know the risk of shipping hatching eggs but I can't help myself to try!! I'm praying for some good luck. Any tips on hatching eggs are very much appreciated! I currently have the incubator up and running. Temp is a steady 99.5-99.7 and he humidity is staying around 50%.

I can't wait to chicken chat with everyone, I'm already beyond addicted and can't wait to start raising my own Cochins [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    HI and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    Yes cochins are one of the cutest breeds! Have fun hatching!

3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    1 person likes this.
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community! Mountain Peeps has left you with some great links to follow. This is my favorite article from our learning center on hatching eggs...https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

I have had pretty good luck with shipped eggs. If you get them from a quality business to start and they properly ship them to you, usually the hatch rate is pretty good. Of course your post office has to be delicate as well. I have had 50% to 75% hatch rates from shipped eggs. So just order more than you think you will need. Some places will even send you more eggs than you order just in case some do crack or get broken during shipment.

Good luck with the hatch and keep us posted!

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with the hatch!

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I used to have some Buff Cochin bantams. They were very sweet, gentle, and beautiful little chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your Cochin bantams.

7. Cochincrzy

Cochincrzy New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    Thanks everyone!

I'm truly excited. I can't wait to start hatching some eggs and adding to my flock!

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and good luck with your incubation.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    sending good hatching vibes your way [​IMG]

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by