Hi from Arkansas!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nineisdivine, Mar 25, 2016.

1. nineisdivine

nineisdivine New Egg

Mar 25, 2016
    I am receiving a 2-week old chicken today from someone looking for a home for her. I have never raised chickens before but am excited to learn and and then possibly add about 4-5 more chickens to keep as pets and for eggs. I have five kids at home all happy to help too! Any advice would be appreciated! All I know is this new baby needs to be kept warm inside our house and fed.

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Since she is going to be your only chick, be prepared for her to be lonely. Chickens are flock animals, so if she won't have any feathered buddies for a while, try putting a soft stuffed toy and an unbreakable mirror in with her.

There are several articles in the Learning Center on raising chicks, so take a look those and if you have questions, you can post them here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and [​IMG] - glad that you have joined us. I agree with NFCs sentiments re: getting more chicks as soon as you can.

All the best
    CT

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC. She will need a brooder with a with heat lamp positioned over part of the brooder so she can decide if she needs the heat or a cooler area

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by