Hi from Arkansas!

nineisdivine

Hatching
Mar 25, 2016
I am receiving a 2-week old chicken today from someone looking for a home for her. I have never raised chickens before but am excited to learn and and then possibly add about 4-5 more chickens to keep as pets and for eggs. I have five kids at home all happy to help too! Any advice would be appreciated! All I know is this new baby needs to be kept warm inside our house and fed.

welcome-byc.gif

Since she is going to be your only chick, be prepared for her to be lonely. Chickens are flock animals, so if she won't have any feathered buddies for a while, try putting a soft stuffed toy and an unbreakable mirror in with her.

There are several articles in the Learning Center on raising chicks, so take a look those and if you have questions, you can post them here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks

Good luck!

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
- glad that you have joined us. I agree with NFCs sentiments re: getting more chicks as soon as you can.

All the best
CT

Welcome to BYC. She will need a brooder with a with heat lamp positioned over part of the brooder so she can decide if she needs the heat or a cooler area

Back
Top Bottom