Hi from Australia!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChristieB, Dec 13, 2014.

1. ChristieB

ChristieB Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2014
    Queensland
    Hi I'm Christie, I live in Queensland Australia with my hubby and 3 kids, we've had chookies before and I found this site a wealth of Info but I never joined.
    unfortunately over time our 4 girls were killed by our dogs pup (in play but I'm sure you all know what dogs get like once they've found a "game")
    Any who since then we bought a house and then baby number 3 arrived 3 months ago, so while I was recovering from c section I see on facebook a lady advertising day old chicks, I sent a pic to my husband he texts back ok. Then I see another person with chicks the same age and I just want them all!!! So a month later we welcomed my mix bag of chicks.
    They are about 11 weeks now so I've been trolling the forums for ideas on a permanent dog proof coop and run, pups are gone now but not going to risk it!!
    I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and sharing some of the quirky things the ladies get up to!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    G'day and Welcome to Backyard Chickens. Dogs (cats too) are a major source of chicken predation. Please visit the Learning Center which is a great first step in chickenry. Then I would advise checking out the Predator & coop sections of the forums.

We have a large Aussie community on Backyard chickens and a great thread to keep them from getting homesick "Australia , six states and one funny little island."

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] We don't mind quirks.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You have come to the right place for all the fun and learning!! Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

5. ChristieB

ChristieB Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2014
    Queensland
    Hi! Thanks, it's frustrating to lose a chook who were happily free range previously, not on purpose but the fence was low enough for them to get over, our dog had no issue, in fact during a flood she shared her kennel with them, the pups however were over enthusiastic with the feathery play things. I might have cried , the silly birds kept getting out instead of staying in their safe run though! I've learned my lesson and will be putting a roof on the run this time! Will check out those sections you suggested for ideas :)

These are my girls having their first free range in the front yard [​IMG]yesterday

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    G'day, and welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry about your losses to your dogs. Sadly, dogs and chickens generally do not mix well. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry for your losses.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

I'm sorry for your losses![​IMG]

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry for your losses. :hugs

10. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC!!! The members here are great and so are their chickens[​IMG]!!! This is the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM ON EARTH!!!!

Hope you have fun and if you need anything we are here to help!!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by