Hi from AZ! New momma of two Cayuga ducks, need more info

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MsRedStarr, Oct 10, 2011.

1. MsRedStarr

MsRedStarr Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2011
    Hi! I just aquired two 6 week old Cayugas and am having trouble finding useful information about them. Help!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  3. MsRedStarr

MsRedStarr Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2011
    How old will the hen be before she begins laying eggs? How do you stop them from nibbling on everything, including people? What are warning signs of them becoming ill? Are there any toys they can play with? Do they need grit to eat duck feed or any other food? Is there a website than can give information on raising them, not just the history of the species?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

you can get a book called Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks by Dave Holderread, it should be in every duck owners book case, well mine is by my computer. very well used. As far as nibbling, it's just natural they don't have hands to feel with so they nibble. They will start to lay eggs around 5-6 months old. get the book it will give you info on health issues, but ducks are very hardy and seldom get sick unless kept in very unsanitary conditions. If you are feeding them chick starter grower they don't need grit but I always put if out for them any way. Any other feed yes they need grit thats how they chew their feed up. Toys I don't have for mine because they seem to find things to od on their own, I gave you 2 good websites that should help alot. http://feathersite.com/Poultry/Ducks/BRKDucks.html this one will give you ideas on caring for your ducklings.
    Here is another good site. http://liveducks.com/care.html
    here
    is one on deseases. http://www.runnerduck.net/diseases.htm it says runner ducks but it's for all ducks.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Welcome to Duckdom!

Miss Lydia covered it all, I think, but I wanted to tell you what I used to amuse especially Acht and Eins when they were in the brooder. My runners liked to tug at the towels and sheeting I used to prevent drafts. Sometimes they'd pull things down a bit.

So I very securely tied a length of rope from the top edge of the brooder (made sure they could not pull anything down on top of themselves - ducks can get into the worst and most unpredictable trouble in less time than you can turn around). It hung down to just about duck eye height. Those two would nibble and tug on the rope (which had no loose strings they could swallow to cause impaction) for I don't know how long.

Once outdoors, they found their own sources of amusement. They like a kiddie pool for swimming and face washing, and they like piles of leaves and straw to investigate.

6. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    you can get a book called Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks by Dave Holderread, it should be in every duck owners book case

Do this. I can't agree more with this. The best advice you'll get is to get that book.​

7. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    m.kitchengirl :

you can get a book called Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks by Dave Holderread, it should be in every duck owners book case

Do this. I can't agree more with this. The best advice you'll get is to get that book.​

X2, I have this book, its awesome!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by